Menu
SchererJ
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Extending WiFi with a wired router

Just got Virgin Media and want to extend the range of wifi to another room by plugging something into the Virgin hub (via ethernet cable) - need a new router/wifi hub of some kind and before buying a random wifi router want to check whether anything will work or if there are any restrictions on the kit that will link to the Virgin hub. Thanks for any advice. 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending WiFi with a wired router

you need a wired access point - or a router than can be put into access point mode, like my asus R56u. then that has a wired connection back to your hub for maximum speed and reliability

your hub then stays in router mode, and your access point broadcasts its own wifi SSIDs 2.4 & 5.0 

the asus is excelllent for wifi within the same room., it is not great for penetrating walls, but the idea of an access point it you place it where it is needed

set up is always a bit fiddly - you take a pc offline then connect it directly by wire only to the new device to configure it. then put your PC back as it was. I got well stuck until I realised I had the wire in the wrong port of the ASUS - for config setup it as to be in one of the 4 LAN sockets, not the special WAN one. you can get cheaper solutions: the Edimax mini at about £13 has AP mode, as do some of the cheap chinese things on ebay. the cheap ones don't all have dual band wifi though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7438RPn-Wireless-Extender-Network/dp/B00NBKAATC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

0 Kudos
SchererJ
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending WiFi with a wired router

Many thanks for the tips and confirmation Cybmole - I have placed an order for the wired access point and will give it a go. 

0 Kudos