Menu
andymb
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does the Super Hub 2ac firewall work?

After about two hours' searching I finally found http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Firewall-Settings-for-the-Super-Hub/m-p/1714... detailing the allowed ports for the Super Hub 2ac firewall settings of low/medium/high.

Mine's set to medium, but I seem to be able to connect out to a service running on ports 2087 & 2083 (cPanel server control panel login), which aren't listed as allowed.

Am I missing something?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does the Super Hub 2ac firewall work?

Hey andymb,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your security issues. Are you able to explain a little more about what is happening, just so I'm clear on the problem?

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

andymb wrote:

Mine's set to medium, but I seem to be able to connect out to a service running on ports 2087 & 2083 (cPanel server control panel login), which aren't listed as allowed.

Thats because its outgoing to incoming the SH1 did both outgoing to incoming and incoming to outgoing but many complained so SH2 and SH2ac just does incoming to outgoing which people still complain because the so called firewall overrides port forwarding and DMZ so people wanting ports outside the High & Medium can't have it on High & Medium.

NAT without port forwarding and DMZ drops incoming to outgoing with the firewall set to off or low anyway....so really the firewall on the super hub in router mode not being configurable is pointless.

0 Kudos
andymb
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'd just like to know that the firewall is doing its job really. On medium, I'd expect all ports but those detailed in the post I linked to to be blocked. So how come I can open a browser session on port 8023? That suggests to me that I can't rely on the firewall to do what I'd expect.
0 Kudos
andymb
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Really, legacy1? Well that explains it. So with NAT and DMZ off it's just a passive ftp blocker then :-)
0 Kudos