Menu
Fozontop
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

DDOS attack

I was DDoS'd lat night on my xbox. I have an engineer coming out tomorrow as the attack hasn't stopped, I switched my router to modem mode thinking obtaining a new ip address would put me back online but it hasn't. After switching to modem mode I can't even sign into the modem/router using 192.168.100.1 using ethernet. Why is this and is there anyway I can get back online in the meantime?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Synthetic
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DDOS attack

Only way to change your IP is to put the hub in modem mode, or get a new hub.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If it's not accepting Router interface (192.168.0.1) either then last resort is a FR (but remember that if you haven't taken the precaution of backing up your VM4xx.bin file then you'll need to manually re-customise any advance settings/passwords).
All that said I doubt it's a DDOS and more likely RF impairment or DBL from host server. If you can't sign in then you should still be able to post via RouterStatus link (top RH corner). Reboot your PC in SAFE+NETWORK mode and/or try different browser/cable.
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Fozontop
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanyou for your response, I'm certain it was a ddos attack as I was in an xbl party and the victim threatened me with the attack. In done research and all it takes is an ip sniffer like can and able and a booter witch you can get a monthly membership for a few quid. Virginia call centre blamed lack of power to the router causing low and high frequency but this wasn't the case. An engineer has been around an put a new router in giving me a new ip ofcourse so the problem is fixed. My only issue is, after asking the engineer how to change my ip address he didn't even know. Virgins ips are very sticky. In future how could I change the ip myself if there is a way?
0 Kudos
Synthetic
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Only way to change your IP is to put the hub in modem mode, or get a new hub.
0 Kudos
Fozontop
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes ofcourse, after the attack this was the first thing I did. Unfortunately it didn't give me a new ip, also after this I couldn't sign in to the modem using 192.168.100.1 when the engineer came he changed my router fixing the problem witch was great. Only issue I had was he was inexperienced and clearly new to the job. Upon questioning him his only reply were I don't know I'm sorry "there is a way changing your ip I just don't know how" I was disappointed to be honest
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at buying an Asus router, I currently have an RT-AC68u in which I can change the external ip + a vpn will help for extra security.
0 Kudos