Menu
Hasanf87
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can't stream 4K content

Should I be able to stream 4K video wirelessly from my media centre to my tv.

currently it is incredibly lagging, I'm assuming the virgin router isn't capable or my tv wireless card...any help appreciated

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't stream 4K content

I don't think that's possible at the moment, the technology is coming though

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2485015/emerging-technology/bandwidth-alert--it-s-now-possible-...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you should do, but you will need a very good wireless connection providing a stable 25Mbps at least.

Wireless can be affected by external factors like Client Hardware, Range, the topography of your home and the big killer wireless interference.

The first concideration is what wireless devices do your TV and media streaming device use. What hub do you have?

Range will obviously play a big part as the wireless signal will degrade over distance.

Obstacles like walls, floors, doors, ceilings, furniture etc. will also play it's part.

Wireless interference from nearby wireless networks and domestic appliances like A\V streaming devices, baby monitors, microwave ovens, plasma TVs, Security systems etc. can degrade the signal as well. Using the 5Ghz band can help avoid interference at the expense of some range.

Wireless is not really suitable for stable high speed connections, a wired connection will fair much better.

omendata
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Get a copy of INSSIDER and check your overlapping wifi channels - preferably use 5ghz and try and get a spectrum all to yourself!

I just managed to get a nice spectrum to myself on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

0 Kudos