Menu
ashishjain01
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Broadband 2G not working

Hello All, I am getting pathetic broadband services from Virgin media since nov 2016. The issue is wireless signals for 2G broadband keeps off dropping sudenly sometimes it doesn't work for the entire day/night. I had contacted virgin media for this issue couple of times and they told me change channel settings on Router which i did and it works for 10 days and then again this issue creeps up. so again the same story starts. this has been going on since Nov 2016. on top of it virgin media has increased monthly bills for this service. everytime i connect with virgin media they tell me to change the frequency and does not give proper resolution. Now they are telling me that they are going to send new router but still don't know how it will help. just curious though my internet is giving issue frequently will virgin media give me credit for the troubles that i am experiencing? probably they should refund monies for the days it was not working.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband 2G not working

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. All these factors are outside VM's or any ISP's control, so they cannot be held responsible.

I would test the actual internet connection speed first by testing the connection speed connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable. This will rule out all the variables that affect wireless and will give the true internet connection speed. I would test the wired speed in the morning and again during evening peak to test for any possible contention issues.

If you are getting headline speed 24/7 then it looks like a wireless problem.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

The 2.4Ghz band is narrow, and can get quite congested nowadays with the ever increasing popularity of wireless devices.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. Wireless environments are dynamic, so the best wireless channel one day will not be the best the next, as in congested environments neighbour will themselves be changing channel to get the best wireless channel for themselves.

Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If you currently have the SH1 (VMDG 480) then and upgrade of hub might improve things. However, the hubs are basically entry level devices and a decent third party router may give a better wifi coverage depending on your wireless environment.

0 Kudos