Menu
jdp
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cold calls

I have been getting cold calls from a number 08004089340 . They claim to be from virgin media offering to maximise my benefits from Virgin. Are these calls coming from virgin or an outside call centre. I normally put the phone down on cold calls but the last time I hung on until the caller asked for details of my password(just a few numbers).If this is direct from virgin why do you not contact me by the e-mail address which you have on the account. If they are an outside agency what are you doing giving my details to such a cold calling operation?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: cold calls

That is a VM number, it is used for outbound retention calls etc. Customer details in part do get shared between departments and that is what leads to the outbound retention calls. It is an offshore team who are behind the xxxx-xxx-9340 and 9341 numbers.

As noted in the terms and conditions, you need to opt out of marketing calls: "Unless you have opted out from receiving such contact, we may use your personal information to contact you with information about our products and services, special offers and rewards, as well as those of selected third parties. From time to time, we may contact you by mail, telephone, email, other electronic messaging services (such as text, voice, sound or image messages including using automated calling systems) or fax for these purposes."

You can opt out via this page (it will take up to six weeks to complete) and will also opt you out of named postal advertising from VM: https://keepup.virginmedia.com/optout

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jdp
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is the 'offshore team' solely dedicated to virgin or do they deal with other customers?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They are there for VM customers.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jdp
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that but it's not what I asked.Are they there solely for Virgin customers.

My worry is that they have information from my account like my password (which I had better change) and if they are not solely dedicated to Virgin but are simply a cold calling centre then I'm not confident that my details are safe.

I've now, at your suggestion, opted out from mail shots but there does not seem to be an option to opt out from your cold calls-is there?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They are there to upsell VM customers only.

VM have a single opt-out on each account. Opting out through that page opts you out of marketing calls (cold calls) as well.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To those curious about why the optout page only mentions a postal mail opt out: it should mention the phone call opt out too. I've been corresponding with staff about this for a number of weeks, for now it still doesn't list that it opts the customers out of marketing calls - but it will in the near future.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
jdp
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK Thanks

Still a touch uneasy though

0 Kudos