Menu
NickiB
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Porting number to Virgin problems!

Hi, I could do with some help please!!

On Saturday I visited a Virgin Store and arranged to have my current mobile number ported to a Virgin Sim. I gave them my Pac code and arranged the porting to happen on Wednesday. At 13.39 on Wednesday my phone received a text stating that 'they were all done with porting my old number to my new mobile'

Now the odd thing is that the text went to the SIM number...which isn't my current mobile number!!

No-one can phone or text me on MY number and Virgin have now informed me it could take 5 to 7 working days to complete!!! To say I'm fuming is an understatement!! I had previously explained that this is the number used for my business and was informed that it would take 24 hours max to port my number...! The guy I spoke to this morning on 789 kept telling me that the text was sent and the porting is completed, I kept explaining that the text went to the wrong number (the SIM) and he didn't seem to understand, then he informed me that there is a 'network issue' and it would take 5 to 7 working days. 

Can anything be done about this? I need my phone yesterday! I'm losing business and its costing me money. I am not a happy customer at all! Seriously regretting moving to Virgin already.

Any advice would be welcome please. 

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting number to Virgin problems!

It is normal process for such an SMS to be sent to the "temporary" number assigned to your new Virgin SIM. At that point the SIM from your original provider would be deactivated. And you would not yet be able to call the number associated with it, ie the number you wish to port in.

The new Virgin SIM would stay active on it's "temporary" assigned number until you cold start the handset. Cold start means to power off the handset and then power it back on again. Best to leave it switched off for 15 minutes or so. The ported number should now be active on the Virgin SIM. However sometimes it might take longer.

But I guess you tried that? What happens with the Virgin SIM? Does it give an "unregistered" or similar message when the handset is powered on form cold? If it registers OK then try calling the temporary number to see if it is still active?

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin seem to have problems with porting at the moment and that has been going on awhile judging by threads on here,

Hope it works out for you

0 Kudos
NickiB
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, have tried all this and will keep trying. The temporary number is still active, it's just I need my real number for work purposes! Never mind, guess I need to keep calm! Thanks again
0 Kudos
NickiB
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yep after posting my query I started seeing all the threads about porting issues. Just makes me cross that they didn't warn me in anyway! I need my phone for business and had I known I could have taken steps to minimise the loss of business I'm currently experiencing.
Seems like many are in the same boat though. I'm sure, eventfully, we will all be connected properly but I certainly wouldn't recommend joining Virgin with your current number to anyone!
Thanks for your reply
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I ran my own business for over 20 years and realised early on that it was better to have my business mobile with a main network rather than an MVNO.

Added things like call forwarding (not used much but there if I needed it) was a bonus. Better answerphone service too giving me a number of options, little things but important. There are a few other things I could mention.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi NickiB

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your number port - this isn't the best of starts!

It's been a few days since your last post - I just wanted to check if this has now been sorted or if you still require some help with this?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
NickiB
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark,

thank you for responding, you are right, it wasn't the best start at all, really not too impressed with Virgin! My number finally ported at the weekend so all is good now thank you. There was an issue of not being able to send texts or make calls due to a lack of credit....on a contract sim...!  but after various calls it was sorted so everything is ok now. Still not overly impressed with Virgin but at least I have a working phone once more.

Thanks again,

Nicki 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicki

Thanks for your reply.

While it sounds like it's been a frustrating experience, I'm really glad this has now been fixed for you.

I'm confident you won't experience any further issues, but if  there is anything else we can help out with, please get back in touch.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
minimart
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problems with porting a number from Vodaphone to VM for my wife's new phone. Suffice to say that she can at last send and receive texts and receive phone calls. However, she is am unable to make calls. VM say give it another 24 hours, as they are having "porting problems". What they don't say is that this is a recurring problem, as illustrated by all the posts on this Forum by frustrated customers. I really hope we don't have to wait as long as others. What exactly is the problem?

0 Kudos