Menu
vanityculture
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PAYG to PAYM number transfer

Hey everyone, I just signed up here and need a little bit of help. I just took out a Sim Only on Virgin and have been given a temporary number associated with the SIM. I also have a PAYG number on Virgin and was told twice by two different online helpdesk agents that I can simply call 789 and ask to keep my PAYG number by having it transferred onto my contract.

Since then, I've called three times and had three different agents mess me around, telling me I need to cancel my current contract and go to sales, or that I need a PAC etc. etc.

All I want to do is keep my pay as you go number and use it on my Pay Monthly account.

Am I just getting the wrong agents every time?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAYG to PAYM number transfer

Hi vanityculture,

you would have needed to make it clear when you took out the pay monthly plan that you were "upgrading" from pay as you go

This way your Virgin Mobile number along with any credit balance from your pay as you go SIM would have been automatically transferred onto your new pay monthly SIM.

As this doesn't appear to be the case or there was a misunderstanding, things are now a little more complicated.

With Virgin Mobile it is not possible to "move" your number within the network.

Therefore the only way to transfer your old PAYG Virgin number to your new pay monthly SIM would be to call 789 on your old SIM & request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) for the number.

Port your number out to another network (cheapest/easiest available SIM from any other network).

Then request a PAC from your new provider and port the number back to Virgin onto your new pay monthly SIM.

Or.....

Cancel the new pay monthly SIM (you'll need to give 30 days notice) then take out a new one, this time making it clear that you wish to upgrade your existing PAYG number.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

vanityculture
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexKid!

Thank you very much for that quick reply.

I found a forum post in the virgin community archives linked here that suggests that it is indeed possible.

May I ask if there has been an update to the systems that prevent agents being able to perform the transfer?

I know I'm being nitpicky and contrarian, so for that I apologise. It's that I've had this number for nearly 6 years and had it confirmed when ordering my sim-only online that I'd be able to do it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi vanityculture,

in April 2015 Virgin Mobile did indeed "upgrade" (their word for it) their system.

Since then a number of things which were possible are no longer.

However even before the system upgrade, as the archive link you have provided suggests there seems to be conflicting information about whether it was possible to move a number within the network.

I suppose that there is no harm in trying again.

Perhaps select the "Thinking of leaving" option when you call and try "Retentions" as the post suggests.

Post back and let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi vanityculture

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear there's been a misunderstanding over the process involved in transferring your Pay As You Go number over to SIM Only.

I just wanted to check if you've now been able to get this resolved or if you still require some assistance with this?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
vanityculture
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mark Y,

It's not resolved yet, sadly.

The thing is, I got an absolute cracker of a deal on my SIMO too, and I don't want to potentially lose it by DSR'ing my plan and then going to upgrade my PAYG sim. 

To be quite honest, I feel like threatening to leave and do this and that all to keep a mobile number is somewhat harsh and disingenuous, so I wouldn't feel right kicking up a stink over it. 
I actually have £15 in airtime credit on that PAYG sim, and I'm not fussed to keep it, I only want my number to stay.

Truth be told, I think some of the frustration that I'm feeling is that I'm actually familiar with the systems Virgin use to perform the transfer I want (I was trained in it before), and could guide an agent I talk to in exactly how to do it with ease, but wouldn't want to risk getting them in trouble if it's not part of their training or diagnostics.

I don't know, I'll have to think about it a bit more, I suppose.

Thanks for the reply though!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi vanityculture

Thanks for your reply.

I regret that, as AlexKid advised, it's not possible to simply switch the number internally and it would indeed require you to either port out the number you want to another provider and then port it back in over your SIM Only number or arrange to upgrade the Pay As You Go with the team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 to a SIM Only and then cancel the other SIM Only you set up. There isn't another way I'm afraid.

I'd be interested if you could let me know where about it advised you could transfer the Pay As You Go number when you were ordering the SIM so I can get it looked into - Are you able to post a screenshot?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
vanityculture
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mark_Y,

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot available. I had it confirmed with two different online agents that it was possible. I placed my SIMO order with "Stenart" and he confirmed it, along with the one before whose name I sadly don't remember.

Thank you and Alex Kid so much by the way. I feel like a prat for pushing the issue so much but you two have been wonderful.
0 Kudos