Menu
Panzerbjørn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How to cancel without calling in

I have just wasted 10 minutes on the phone to India to an operator who couldn't grasp that I wanted to cancel my service due to moving house.

She also refused to give me her name so I could complain about her, not exactly a great ad for Virgin, and definitely a reason to strongly consider not using their services again.

Is there another way for me to cancel?

I have cancelled my direct debit, and if I have to, I'm going to write to the relevant ombudsman (Ofcom I guess).

Cheerio,

Lars

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to cancel without calling in

Cancellations is a UK department, so you have not navigated the telephone system correctly.

Initially take option 1 for Virgin Media then options 4 and 5 to get through to the 'thinking of leaving' option.

NEVER cancel a direct debit before you are sure you have cancelled your service/contract.

0 Kudos
Panzerbjørn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Cancellations is a UK department, so you have not navigated the telephone system correctly.

Initially take option 1 for Virgin Media then options 4 and 5 to get through to the 'thinking of leaving' option.

NEVER cancel a direct debit before you are sure you have cancelled your service/contract.

I pressed the options for broadband and cancelling. Maybe it was overflow, I really don't care. 

And I find that cancelling my direct debit is the best thing to do. UK companies are terrible at doing it themselves, and I simply don't trust them.

My (former) gym, Fitness First, just did exactly that because I forgot to cancel the direct debit myself.
And I have no doubt that Virgin will do the same.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you cancel your direct debit without first ensuring that you have cancelled your contract with Virgin Media, they will continue to bill you for services and you won't be paying for these services which you haven't cancelled.

This will lead eventually to you having an unpaid debt that Virgin Media will recover through a debt collection company.

Panzerbjørn
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

If you cancel your direct debit without first ensuring that you have cancelled your contract with Virgin Media, they will continue to bill you for services and you won't be paying for these services which you haven't cancelled.

This will lead eventually to you having an unpaid debt that Virgin Media will recover through a debt collection company.

Thanks to having documented everything, it will actually lead to a fine from Ofcom and a payout for the distress caused.

It's wonderful to live in a world where as a private citizen, you can record *everything* as evidence.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There are some people you simply cannot help.  Good luck with the DD cancellation and your credit rating record.

As for a fine from Ofcom ... dream on.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You've heard from the others about the foly of cancelling direct debit outright, you likely won't be the last person to ignore that advice then complain that 'VM ruined my credit score' at a later date. You certainly are not the first.

Now as to another question, when was your contract due to expire naturally?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm simply trying to help.

OFCOM will be no help at all to you. They don't deal with individual situations like yours.

You first must complain to Virgin Media.

If you can't reach agreement with them, you are then deadlocked and go via CISAS to resolve the issue.

Have a read herehttps://www.cedr.com/cisas/

0 Kudos
jamesduffin49
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My sympathies are with you. I have just spent 40 mins talking to 2 people in an Indian call centre, trying to have an additional broadband line installed in my daughters home but paid for through my virginmedia account. Firstly they couldn't understand why I wanted this and then they finally asked for an upfront credit check fee. This despite the fact I've been with virginmedia for 16 years, pay by direct debit and have never had any issues. When I asked why they needed to carry out a credit check on a long term existing customer they said they didn't know but that is what they had to do. I was eventually passed to a line manager as I continued to refuse to authorise the credit check but then the battery on my cordless phone ran out. Their service is absolutely useless. They need to bring this back to the UK where you can talk to people who completely understand the discussion.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

jamesduffin49 wrote:

My sympathies are with you. I have just spent 40 mins talking to 2 people in an Indian call centre, trying to have an additional broadband line installed in my daughters home but paid for through my virginmedia account. Firstly they couldn't understand why I wanted this and then they finally asked for an upfront credit check fee. This despite the fact I've been with virginmedia for 16 years, pay by direct debit and have never had any issues. When I asked why they needed to carry out a credit check on a long term existing customer they said they didn't know but that is what they had to do. I was eventually passed to a line manager as I continued to refuse to authorise the credit check but then the battery on my cordless phone ran out. Their service is absolutely useless. They need to bring this back to the UK where you can talk to people who completely understand the discussion.

sit on your hands until monday and then ring retentions 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos