Menu
k2017
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RUDE CALL CENTRE STAFF

To cut a long story short - Virgin media (TV, Broadband and Phone) installation scheduled 3 weeks ago for my new build house which is already pre-wired for Virgin - engineer came and said cable needs to be pulled through for external connection which requires a different engineer to do so, so will have to re-arrange installation on a different day as it is a "2 man job." I spoke to his manager over the phone who confirmed that a new date will be fixed in the diary for the cable to pulled through and installation of Virgin Media. 1 day taken off work for no reason.

New installation date scheduled for today. 1 engineer arrives and gives me the same story as above. Asked to speak his manager over the phone. Manager said he can get somebody to come within the next hour to pull the cable through, so the engineer can return to install virgin media - says all in all will take 45mins to 1 hour. Engineer leaves, and said he'll come back after an hour to install Virgin media. I wait 1 hour 30 mins - no sign of the engineer to pull through the cable or the previous engineer. I call customer services (call centre, somewhere in East Asia) who fail to comprehend the situation and sticks to their 1 line scripts they have memorised - I ask to speak to their supervisor/manager. I am put on hold for 20 mins, to be told there is no manager available. No apology at this point - I am absolutely fuming at this point. This call centre attendant then informs me that if the cable needs to be pulled through externally then they will have to get permission from the council which will take 6-8 weeks. This is utter rubbish, as I live on a brand new housing estate, all houses are pre-wired for virgin media already, and several houses have had successful connections (Although most are with Sky, which it seems are for obvious reasons now). I even have a virgin pipe outside my house to allow for the cable from the local hub (10m away) to be pulled through (my next door neighbour had his virgin media set up and installed within 3 weeks with no hassle).

Anyway, I ask the call centre attendant to arrange a new installation date so I can at least have the engineer to discuss the issue with - he says he cannot and I will have to wait 6-8 weeks for council permission before a new installation date can be fixed. All in all I have been without internet, tv or a phone in my new house for 3 weeks already, and they are now expecting me to wait at least another 6-8 weeks before a new installation date can even be fixed - with no apology, understanding of the situation or compassion. I asked him what he would do in my situation - and I literally laughed at his response "Sir, I would probably find a new provider". 

Both engineers that attended (today and 3 weeks ago) were adamant that the cable could be pulled through within an hour so, just needed the right person to do the job. The call centre is based thousand of miles away, and in their defence have been given scripts to fob off customers like me (and many others as I can see on this forum), but they have no conception of what is really going on. I would appreciate if somebody can respond and clarify the situation and the best way forward within the next 24 hours otherwise I will definitely be cancelling my subscription and switching over to Sky.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RUDE CALL CENTRE STAFF

if you want a 24 hour reply from vm. this is the most helpful thing i can post Smiley Tongue
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/
Farhana
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Correction, the call centre is in SOUTH East Asia.

The waiting time on the forum is about a week but you could ask a superuser to flag your issue for you.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi k2017, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can. 

Even though your house may be pre-wired, it wouldn't be hooked up to the network until we have an account. More often than not it is as straight forward as pulling the cabling but in some cases there is something else at play such as blocked ducts, missing tees or the engineer's may be unable to access where they need to pull the cable from. 

I understand it's frustrating but we will be going as quickly as we can for you. 

I can see since posting you have spoken to the team and decided on a course of action. If you need anything else, pop back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
petercz
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

please my post on a similar experience:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/epic-fail/td-p/3383312

It is a shame that the person replying to these horrible stories does not reply on the subject. I see that they (she?) uses the same introductory line or lines, and then provides a semi relevant reply which really does not touch on the actual point of our problems, inability to sensibly communicate with the company once you subscribe to their service. I decided to cancel my order and invoiced them at a very modest rate of £25/hr ex vat for the requested attendance and several hours on hold and truing to communicate with their non English speaking staff. I am surprised to see that despite a tester experience you still insist on being their customer, I added them to a small list of companies I want nothing with, mainly ones who use Asian call centres.

all the best with you installation (or lack of :-) )

Peter

0 Kudos