Menu
jalzir
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The engineer told us that it would take 2-3 weeks to install

Upon our booked slot arriving, our engineer told us he couldn't install in the day, because the cable wasn't up to where we lived, next door was a previous customer of virgin, and we got told that we could piggy back off of their connection until ours was set up with their permission. However they turned this down (we're new tenants so we don't know our neighbors). We got told it would take 2-3 weeks to install virgin internet, but we already cancelled our previous contract and as a houseful of university students, this is a big issue for us.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? and how long did it (really) take to set up? and do we need to book an engineer again?

side note- I've had no contact from virgin since the installation date. (I'm currently in the process of trying to go through their customer service options for some information)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: The engineer told us that it would take 2-3 weeks to install

hiya @jalzir this would have been passed onto the construction dept, since its normally longer than 2-3 weeks wait, depends on area, amount of construction engineers available, previous jobs booked out. etc.. etc.. the construction team just lay the cables required and leave don't get that involved in installing the internal connections, install of tivo/hub etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jalzir
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, I'm in London, so I don't know if that will mean their super busy or not, but next door was a previous customer? so we're at least cabled? but just not to where WE are? (I'm in a terrace so that seems kinda silly) the engineer didn't exactly explain it terribly well. I don't know if it'd be worth bothering them over customer service, although if I get billed for a month which for half (or all!) of it we didn't even have access to the service, I'm going to be very mad- but this hasn't come up yet. Can I expect and email requesting I book another engineer after the construction team finally gets to us, because if someone's going to turn up unannounced that will be quite a problem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would be having a chat with customer services/sales to see what has been booked in, since might get a txt/phone call saying install engineer booked for xyz time.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jalzir

Thanks for joining us on the community and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry that the installation has not yet processed for you. You would not be charged for services until after the installation has completed and you can check this and confirm this with our teams via Webchat.

If you need to catch up with our construction teams about the work they are doing please contact them via phone on 0345 045 0595 where they can look into this for you. They are open from 8.30 am to 7pm weekdays and until 6 on Saturdays.

Keep us posted and if we can help with anything else we'll do our best to assist.

Cheers.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
jalzir
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice, but having called customer support we were simply told that 'there is no news' because we're first time customers in this house (apparently high-speed cabling is a very new addition to the area) however after well more than a month of waiting without any news, what's more on my priority list at this point is cancelling the contract, because even though I'm not paying for it, we cancelled our previous internet provider contract and as students, have been living without at-home internet for well over a month because of this issue. Honestly we'd settle for just normal broadband speeds until the cable is fitted, but that wasn't an option offered to us.

0 Kudos