Menu
Paul25
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed fluctuation

Any help would be appreciated.  I am new to VM I have the vivid 200 broadband only package, but my speeds are varying between 10 Mbps to 218 Mbps down and 1Mbps to 12Mbps up,these are varying by the minute.  The engineer said that there will be a bit of fluctuation,  but that should not last longer than 24 hours, it's now well over 24 hours!

On the installation the SCCI technician connected me up to existing SKY cables that have been installed for 3 or more years and fitted another faceplate, despite me questioning him about this he said it would be alright to do this as his company works for SKY and other companies  also - so he is allowed to do that and that  Virgin techs are not allowed to do this?   I had no choice but to let him install my service in this manner.

Then the VM technician turned up and installed the HUB 3 router using new cat5e coaxial from the faceplate to the router, an inline isolator was installed to prevent surges also an inline attenuator to balance the signal.   Then he said there was a problem at the back office and wrote this on the sheet:"Issue with wall garden to BBI not working,  works stage to D5 *cable left loose on customers request."  (I requested that the cable not be clipped up in my front room due to decorating taking place soon).  I am the only person connected to the main box and services, nobody else in my block has taken up VM services according to the tech.....

I'm not happy as I should have had this installed on the 23 March 2017, but the VM tech said he could not install my service as he did not have a ladder long enough to get to the box installed on the side of the flats I live in, to make connection or run cable, fair enough on his part as he knows the limitation of his job, equipment and his health and safety requirements, but poor show between SCCI and VM and their lack of communication.  I hope I'm not going to be billed for the whole month! 

I live in area 22, but cannot find any faults on my service?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed fluctuation

Morning Paul25,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

In regards to the slow speeds, this will be due to a high peak time traffic fault in your area. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F005076331 and has a review date of 30th April.

As part of our on-going network expansion, we've been working with our development partners in order to connect up homes which were previously on communal TV connections to provide them with broadband and TV services. The broadband is supplied in the same way as other customers, however this will be through the Faceplate in order to facilitate the delivery of our service to these properties. 

Kind regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Paul25
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is the situation, I asked for 'Vivid 200 Gamer',  VM could not supply that quoting technical problems instead told me I could have 
Vivid 200 instead and that I maybe able to get it in the future so I agreed on the proviso that I could game lag free and I explained that is why I'm leaving BT.    Now on the day of installation the 23rd March 2017 the tech turned up and could not install my service leaving me for another two weeks and part of that time was without an internet connection, that was a big issue as I'm disabled and use my internet as a window to the world.

So another day was booked 4th April 2017 and on that day the installation tech told me they were having problems in the back office and could not connect me after installing the equipment, I got connected later that day and things were patchy, but improving the speed over the next couple of days, but with lag present.  Then it went downhill and at times my upload speed is higher than my download speed, with my upload never reaching over 13Mbps.

I have been logging the speeds with the same speedtest: http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=3d2d34c9835cbbe2d28bd3ab46ba762c

Now you are telling me it's going to be another fortnight until it's reviewed, only reviewed, what does that actually mean, you'll send me another message telling me it's still broken?  Well, when are these 'on-going network expansions'  going to not affect me, any estimates would be helpful?   I feel like I have been mis-sold your product and that VM sales were not honest with me and nobody told me there was a reduced or broken service for the time being.   You are supposed to be providing me with a premium service, I'm paying for one!    

Here are some Virgin tag lines and my responses  !

Virgin Media - Let us bring you up to speed.‎   Up to what speed, my speed went down, then up, then down, then up, then.......   It all starts with our
magical high-tech cable .....You used Sky TV's existing cable, it's been here 3 years ! ......This is what you say about Sky's cables: 

We didn’t become the UK’s fastest widely available broadband provider using the same sluggish cables as Sky and BT. Our unique network uses smart DOCSIS® 3 technology to connect you to the things you love in a faster and more reliable way - and it’s exclusive to our customers.

Just read what it says on your page, click the following link, I defy you to tell me what I am recieving is anywhere near what you are advertising:  http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband.html

Incredible reliability

Whether you’re an online gamer, movie streamer, or digital explorer, life’s better brilliantly connected. That’s why we’ve worked hard to ensure our network delivers 99.9% reliability all the way to your home, so you get the speeds you need for non-stop entertainment.    I have slipped through the net and feel let down.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul25,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can imagine this is frustrating to say the least and I am very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

With the traffic fault, these will have review dates rather than fix dates due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth. Nearer the review date we can check this for further updates and let you know.

To discuss this further, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Speak soon
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Zonker
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've had a 300mb connection with Virgin For about two months. Surprisingly, I often have download speeds in excess of 400mb and the upload seems stable at 20mb. When it fluctuates (right now), the download speed can go from 20mb to 400mb.

I game and I'm certain that even a 20mb connection would be stellar compared to the lag that barely lets my character turn in place (it takes about thirty seconds). If a tech tells me this is due to 'peak times', I will point out that it is currently 1:30am on a Monday morning. I am in Area 20.

0 Kudos