Menu
Paulkerley
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving House

I moved from SKY to Virgin Media (TV, broadband & phone) about two months ago, following a marketing phone call. At that time, I was aware I was due to move house (offers were made at that time) and I stated that I would like to leave matters until I move. The sales lady insisted that I get Virgin in my existing house stating that I could phone her when I move and that she would arrange everything free of charge. On that basis, I agreed.

I have been happy with Virgin but have now a move date of early January. I phoned the number given only to find the sales lady was not in the office until the New Year. A manager did not phone me back, as promised. I then phoned the number on the web site, only to be told that Virgin was not available at my new premises and I would therefore have to cancel the contract. For this privilege, I am to be charged £240 for cancelling the contract early. Even though I didn't want it at my existing home in the first place.

I am not happy. Do I have to accept this? How do you complain?

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving House

Paulkerley wrote:

I moved from SKY to Virgin Media (TV, broadband & phone) about two months ago, following a marketing phone call. At that time, I was aware I was due to move house (offers were made at that time) and I stated that I would like to leave matters until I move. The sales lady insisted that I get Virgin in my existing house stating that I could phone her when I move and that she would arrange everything free of charge. On that basis, I agreed.

I have been happy with Virgin but have now a move date of early January. I phoned the number given only to find the sales lady was not in the office until the New Year. A manager did not phone me back, as promised. I then phoned the number on the web site, only to be told that Virgin was not available at my new premises and I would therefore have to cancel the contract. For this privilege, I am to be charged £240 for cancelling the contract early. Even though I didn't want it at my existing home in the first place.

I am not happy. Do I have to accept this? How do you complain?

Did you get her to put it in writing, did you give her the new address to even check if services were available, in theory she didn't "lie" to you as she would have been able to arrange a free move IF you were moving to somewhere that had virgin available, this is something you could have checked on the website prior to agreeing to sign up with virgin, you can complain via customer services and should you not be happy with their decision you can look at escalating it, that being said you would still need more evidence than "A few months ago someone said x" without having it in writing or having a call recording etc

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulkerley

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with us about the House Move and the Early Disconnection Fees.

These have always been clearly noted on our online Terms and Conditions as well as within the contract you have received from us in the past.

If you have had an agreement with our teams in the past that this would be waived then if this is not noted on the account or you don't have a copy of this agreement we would then need to do an investigation into this for you.

To do this if you could please get in touch with our Care team via 150 or 0345 454 1111 they would be able to log this for you. If this needs  to be escalated as a complaint then this will be the next step to help support you as best as we can.

Please keep us posted on how this goes.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Paulkerley
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

Having been informed that you are unable to supply Virgin media at my new address (thereby being forced to cancel the existing contract !) I have now received a new contract covering the future months. I have also been billed for use of Virgin throughout January (I am moving tomorrow, 6th). I would like a bill covering the period I use Virgin please. Also, if I receive a cancellation charge, I will escalate, as per previous notifications.

I am now moving back to SKY. I have not had a good experience with Virgin, at all.

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulkerley, 

Thanks for coming back to us and I hope the move went well. 

When you give your 30 days notice to disconnect, the account will continue as normal until the disconnection date. This means your billing cycle will also continue as normal. 

On your disconnection date the services will stop and a final bill will be produced a few days later. This will include any refunds, adjustments and charges. If the overall amount shows as a charge, you'll need to make this payment via a credit or debit card as soon as possible. If there is a refund showing then we will send you a cheque for that amount. 

As well as the final bill, you will receive some packaging to return any equipment you have. There will be instructions on how you can return this to us in the pack. 

With regards to termination fees, if you are in contract then these would be chargeable as per Karen's last post. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos