Menu
damian78
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling account due to inadequate service

Hi, 

I've been having problems for a very long time with your TiVo service, which I've reported on many occasions without resolution. This included ordering a new remote control which never arrived, On Demand not working, the TiVo box recording random unwanted programmes but not the programmes we wanted, and just general uselessness of the box.

I called to cancel my account a few weeks ago, partly due to the above issues, and partly because of your ever increasing prices (£4 increases every few months, but of course it's all good news according to your letters because we can continue to receive the same (unreliable) service as we've been paying £4 per month less for since the previous increase). 

Unfortunately I made the grave mistake of accepting a discount offer, with more TV channels, an engineer was booked to fix all of our problems, and a new remote was sent out. 

We did receive the remote on the same morning as the engineer visit, however the batteries it was packaged with were AAA batteries, not the AA batteries the remote requires. 

The engineer then turned up and replaced our TiVo box, tested all the cables, adjusted the signal to the broadband router saying that it was originally poor signal, and left. Great, I thought things might just turn for the better. 

Wrong. On the Saturday night the TV stopped working - no signal error even on terrestrial channels. Had to turn the box off and on again to get it working. 

A few days later, same again. Called 150, got told to reboot the box again, didn't fix it, engineer did some magic his end with the apparently perfect signal, picture came back but no sound. Bit of additional magic later and all was great - I was told it was issues with the signal which were now fixed. 

Couple of days later, no signal. Call again, as soon as the call was answered it came back, and was told by the engineer that he couldn't do anything as it was all working fine (more magic I assume). 

Following morning, no signal. Called again, this time to cancel my account, but was told I'm now 2 days outside of the time I could cancel (despite me reporting these issues within the 14 day cooling off period). Got an engineer booked for Wednesday morning (more time off work), but absolutely no confidence that they'll be able to get it working consistently. 

Tonight I tried using ITV Hub through On Demand, another error. Though I've got used to this with On Demand. 

So, my question is, how on earth do I get out of this contract ASAP? It's just not working out, it's time for us to go our separate ways, we simply can't recover from these ongoing issues. Surely the fact I've reported issues whilst within the 14 day period which can't be resolved (brand new TiVo box not working, signal "fixed" several times) should give me the right to cancellation, and especially as the issues have been ongoing before then. I'm willing to give 30 days notice, but please, just let me go, I've had enough. 

Thanks.

P.S. No, I don't want to pay a cancellation fee. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling account due to inadequate service

not much the VM people here can do plus it takes them a week to get to threads

CEO's office would be my best guess - google will give you an email addy - against the rules to post it here - no idea why - your post says it all - copy that to them apart from the last line and see what they say

Tony
damian78
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, I've now found an email address and will give that a go.
0 Kudos
damian78
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No reply from Virgin Media yet on here, Twitter, or to my email. 

Unsurprisingly there are 2 issues showing today on the Service Status page to do with On Demand in my area. Shockingly bad reliability. How can they expect me to want to stay with a service as poor as this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM take up to a week to reply on here - no idea on twitter or the CEO's office - adding to the thread pushes you down the queue so just let the thread age and VM will get here

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi damian78

Thanks for popping by with your post regarding the cancellation request and poor TiVo® service you have had with us.

I am sorry you have had this experience and are looking to leave Smiley Sad

I'd like to take a look into this for you to see how best we can support you especially given the repeated issues with your TiVo® box.

For me to do so I'm sending a pm to you that you can find in the envelope on the top right next to your forum name.

If you could pop back to me on this that would be fab.

Thanks again and speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

damian78
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Following further issues after the engineer visit on Wednesday, which saw me lose loads of the channels given to us as part of the retention deal (because apparently they were only "tasters" and temporary), then getting them back with a rolling credit to cover the cost, only to then later in the evening get an email confirming the changes to our services at £6.50 more per month than agreed, I have finally managed to get the account cancelled without incurring any fees (allegedly, I've got to wait for the final bill to make sure this is the case). 

Thanks Karen and Tony for your replies, and to Gareth from the Social Media team for sorting this matter out.

damian78
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Amazingly, got another new box yesterday, new cable between box and splitter, which also got replaced, and plug on wall replaced, so basically everything except the cable coming into the house. Yet still unable to access On Demand tonight without multiple retries.

I may have got the result I was after in the end and am leaving next month, but still paying for the service this month and still not got it working, very frustrating. Proof it seems that Virgin Media are unable to offer a reliable TV service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi damian78

I'm sorry to hear that despite us changing the service equipment this is still an issue. It does appear to be something we may need to resolve by re-cabling externally.

I know you are leaving us next month but if this is something you would like us to do for you, we would need to book in an engineer visit and they would then schedule in the re-pull if this is what they believe is necessary. It could be signal levels from the cabinet that are causing the issues with the On Demand which an engineer visit may be able to support with?

Just let us know and we'll look at booking this for you should you need this.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
damian78
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen.

To be honest there probably isn't much point now, I'm having BT installed in a few weeks so would only get a couple of weeks use out of it anyway. 

The line coming in was tested and I was told it was fine, and I was told this would also be the case if the broadband continues to work at the point the signal disappears from the TiVo which it does. 

Thanks anyway for the offer of help, it is appreciated. 

0 Kudos