Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
peaches

Nuisance Calls....what can Virgin do?

Since last Wednesday I have received numerous unwanted calls on my (non-Virgin) mobile and to a lesser extent on my Virgin home phone.  The calls are mostly from 'unknown' numbers although some are not.  
The person got my home phone number due to a stupid mistake by me; I returned the call, thinking if I dialed 121 before the person's number it would withhold mine from them.  It didn't :smileysad:
I changed my home phone number with Virgin on Sunday and have only given the new number to my parents and husband, and all was good but I've just received a call where nobody speaks.  It wasn't one of those silent sales calls, I could hear someone, I said hello a few times and then they hung up.
It could be a genuine wrong number but after the amount of calls I've had this past week I'm feeling harrassed and a little worried.
So I want to know how could anyone find out my Virgin phone number?  Especially less than a week after changing it?
What can I do besides cancelling my phone contract?  Can I block unknown numbers? Do they get a message telling them why the call has been rejected?
Thanks.  
Please use plain text.
Boffin
LesleyChenard

Re: Nuisance Calls....what can Virgin do?

Hi peaches,

I'm sorry you've been getting these unwanted calls, I know they can be frightening. Often though, the silent calls turn out to be calls from a mobile which someone has in their pocket & they don't realise they've dialled your number by accident. It may be worth getting your friends & family who do have your number to check their outgoing mobile calls to see if one of them has called you without realising.

You can add anonymous caller reject to your package if you don't have it already.  It would cost £2.55 per month. You would need to call our customer services team on 150 & choose option1. This may not prevent all callers getting through as it won't stop any calls routed offshore, and occasionally a mobile or business number will show as number not recognised even if it's not withheld. You should be aware though, that most calls from hospitals, GPs etc are from withheld numbers, and they then wouldn't be able to contact you on your landline. The message simply states that the number they are calling does not accept anonymous calls. If you dial 141 before you call out this will withhold your number.

You should also consider registering with the TPS if you haven't already. The Telephone Preference Service will help stop unwanted sales calls and it's free to register. Go online to

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

or call them on 0800 398893.

Sorry about the essay, but I hope it's been of some help to you:smileyhappy:

Regards,

Lesley Chenard
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
IanEdgar

'You should also consider registering with the TPS if you haven't already. The Telephone Preference Service will help stop unwanted sales calls and it's free to register'
I did this a year ago, and as far as I can see, makes no difference what so ever, still get overseas calls in the evening without a phone number plus other withheld numbers so how can you complain if you can't report a number? forget TCS and just live with the problem, you will have too anyway.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
LesleyChenard

Hi IanEdgar,

The TPS make it clear that they can't stop overseas calls, but if sales companies persist in calling you after you've registered, and advised them you don't wish to be called, you can contact the TPS who will chase up on your behalf. They are NOT there to stop anonymous calls, just sales\marketing calls.

Regards,

Lesley Chenard

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
IanEdgar

The TPS should be ably to do more then stop a sales pitch, of all the unwanted calls that one is subject, is a very, very small part of a much larger problem.
Which is not addressed by any telephone provider, which should be ably to control it's own gateway if asked too.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
peaches

Thanks, I am registered to TPS, although as the phone number is less than a week the registration may not have gone through yet.

However, how could someone get the number so quick?

Also, as per my message, only 4 people, including myself, have the number, so I know for certain that it isn't a accidental call.  Also, it is not a sales call, there is somebody breathing and there is background noise.  I've just received another call, again background noise and breathing.

I called Virgin and after 5 minutes of going through the annoying automated service which had no relevent options I got through to a human who just refered me to the TPS, which cannot help as these are not sales calls.  

I wonder if the person who is harrassing me has access to Virgin records in some way, how else could they get my phone number?

Either way, I don't feel I continue paying for a Virgin phone line if I'm too afraid to pick up the phone and therefore I am going to cancel my account.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
LesleyChenard

Hi peaches,

If someone is harrassing you , you should report it to our customer service service team on 150, choose option 1, make it clear when you call that you are NOT reporting sales calls. They will be to offer further advice for you.

Regards,

Lesley Chenard

Please use plain text.