Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
mops

IP Address - Static or Dynamic?

Sorry to be ignorant but I've heard that people can be traced through their IP address.

Could you tell me, when I use Virgin Media Broadband do I have a static or dynamic IP address?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: IP Address - Static or Dynamic?

[ Edited ]

Not sure what you mean by 'traced'. Only Virgin know who you are by your IP address

However to answer your question it is a Dynamic IP with a long lease

This means it may change but rarely does

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mops

Thanks benmcr for your reply.

To explain, on message boards on the internet I have read that the moderators can trace your IP address if they want to, to find out who you are. Do they have the power to do this? And is it possible?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
valdvamp

Hi,

If it's a residential connection,it's s dynamic ip.

In business accounts, it's a static ip.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

mops wrote:

To explain, on message boards on the internet I have read that the moderators can trace your IP address if they want to, to find out who you are. Do they have the power to do this? And is it possible?

The most they could is trace your ISP. So they would know you are with Virgin Media. They could not find out your name or address. However if you were being abusive, threating or anything else that breaches a sites T&Cs or Virgin's AUP the a forum moderator could report it to the Internet Security team for investigation - this information would not be released back to the site.
The only time Virgin would release information is  to the Police in regards to an investigation or if ordered to by the courts.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
rishi

Ip address cannot be traced by normal persons.Only fbi or police can trace the ip address exact location like home address,city etc.

You can use the ip location checking site and find the ip address country,city,ISP etc.Not the home address.

Dynamic Ip address:

If you reset the modem and the ip address change ,it is dynamic ip address.Dynamic Ip address is suitable for browsing purpose.

Static ip address:

If you reset the modem and ip address will not change and remains same hence it is static ip address.

Static ip or dedicated ip address is suitable for website.It helps to get more traffic.You can get the Ip address from your interner service provider.

you can check the ip address using the site Ip-details.com   .

Please use plain text.