Menu
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

xbox disconnects from xbox live then reconnects straight away

Ever since I bought Virgin Broadband, I have had the issue of disconnecting and reconnecting from xbox. I've complained about it before to virgin and nothing has been done. Been told a numerous of times its signalling or there is a problem with my xbox which isn't the case. My connection is wired but I've tested it whilst being wireless and I still get disconnected. I've moved the routers power supply so it's directly plugged into its own socket but it doesn't do anything. I usually have the xbox's ip in the dmz so ports aren't an issue. I stopped complaining about it because I had enough of ringing up. I did so for a good few weeks as internet was turned off for three days and the problem has not been resolved. I've looked at a number of forums and this issue seems to have happened for years to numerous customers. I've tried to live with it but i'm done. You can see from my account how long I've had virgin broadband and feel my frustration. I bought the internet as I wanted a better gaming experience. Even though sky broadband speeds were slower. I was never once disconnected from the internet, but with virgin it happens everyday. I feel that i'm not going to renew the contract when the time comes.

0 Kudos
ayshfm1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: xbox disconnects from xbox live then reconnects straight away

Virgin is not a gamers ISP.  Latency is poor and they don't support IPv6.

What they are is the highest generally available bandwidth ISP.  If want to do lots of torrenting etc, then Virgin is the best ISP.

Latency on BT is better - you die less and BT support IPv6, this is a killer advantage if NAT is causing you issues especially if you have more than one Xbox (I have 2, both are on my BT Ipv6 address space).  If you mostly game then BT is the best ISP.

* I have both Virgin and BT infinity so am able to compare the two in real time and constantly.

0 Kudos
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

In terms of download/ upload speed and nat type its fine. It's the fact that it disconnects and then reconnects me back in a few seconds to xbox live, but because of this it constantly kicks me out when i'm playing. I also wanted to try streaming as my previous isp upload speed was 0.7 mb but as it can disconnect me at any time, i haven't even bothered. It's really frustrating mate. There is no reason that it should do that and researching the problem since i stopped ringing their customer service, as they never dealt with the issue, I've found numerous threads stating the same problem, some going back to 2012.
0 Kudos
Itvm
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Access your superhub through 192.168.0.1 (default pw is changeme) and then through advanced settings, go to wireless radio (at the top) and then change the wireless mode to up to 54Mbps.

Worked for me, hope it helps
0 Kudos
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'll give it a go, thanks for the advice =)
0 Kudos
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have a Superhub 3.0, on my advanced settings, on the wireless section, it has the two wireless frequencies 2.4ghz and 5ghz which are both enabled, can't see where it says to change the wireless mode to 54mbps?
0 Kudos
Itvm
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I don't have one myself, I have the 2.0, but is there an option to change to best wireless compatiblility?
0 Kudos
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The best one would be the 5Ghz as it gives you the most speed, but as I have an ethernet going into the router, it gets the best speed anyways. I have tried before but regardless I still get disconnected, then reconnected. Sometimes it happen once in the day, other times it can be frequent and it happens on any game. Not sure why it happens. Could it be a fault in the router?
0 Kudos
Itvm
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ah my bad, I thought you were on wireless, not sure about a solution on ethernet
0 Kudos
kezzyp
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Okay no problem, thanks for the help anyways.
0 Kudos