Menu
Reply
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
ozgurcan
Tuning in
207 Views
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

slow ps4 spped

Hi guys, i just upgraded to the vivid 200 gamer package 

i am connected to my ps4 with an ethernet cable and when i do a test connection i only get around 130 download to 7 upload max... why?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 9.37K
  • 361
  • 2.31K
Superuser
Superuser
196 Views
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped

Log into your Hub via http://192.168.0.1/ and post the downstream, upstream, configuration and network log stats.

Also, after that, connect a computer directly to the hub via ethernet cable and run this test a few times: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Post links to the results.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
ozgurcan
Tuning in
173 Views
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped

Thanks for the reply my issue is only on ps4.

i get 200+ on speed test on pc but on ps4 its around 40 to 70

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 9.37K
  • 361
  • 2.31K
Superuser
Superuser
170 Views
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped


ozgurcan wrote:

Thanks for the reply my issue is only on ps4.

i get 200+ on speed test on pc but on ps4 its around 40 to 70


You're measuring the speed of Sony's servers then, not of your broadband. Or you have a dodgy ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.94K
  • 377
  • 929
Superuser
Superuser
164 Views
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped

As MUD says you are testing the Sony server speed not your line speed. The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and gives better results than the Sony test, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

However, even that site on my PS4 doesn't show my full 200Mbps when my PC does, so something in the PS4 seems to be limiting speeds.  In my experience it is not really relevant as the Sony servers rarely serve up downloads much quicker than around 70Mbps.

______________________
Scott

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

  • 9.37K
  • 361
  • 2.31K
Superuser
Superuser
162 Views
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped


SCA1972 wrote:

As MUD says you are testing the Sony server speed not your line speed. The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and gives better results than the Sony test, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

However, even that site on my PS4 doesn't show my full 200Mbps when my PC does, so something in the PS4 seems to be limiting speeds.  In my experience it is not really relevant as the Sony servers rarely serve up downloads much quicker than around 70Mbps.

Browser based tests will have additional overheads because of drawing the graphs, running javascript and so on.

Maybe the mobile speedtest app works better, if available on the PS4?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.94K
  • 377
  • 929
Superuser
Superuser
156 Views
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped


MUD_Wizard wrote:

SCA1972 wrote:

As MUD says you are testing the Sony server speed not your line speed. The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and gives better results than the Sony test, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

However, even that site on my PS4 doesn't show my full 200Mbps when my PC does, so something in the PS4 seems to be limiting speeds.  In my experience it is not really relevant as the Sony servers rarely serve up downloads much quicker than around 70Mbps.

Browser based tests will have additional overheads because of drawing the graphs, running javascript and so on.

Maybe the mobile speedtest app works better, if available on the PS4?


I don't think the PS4 web browser does javascript or java or Flash, which is why a lot of speed test sites don't work in the PS4 browser.  The site I linked to does everything with HTML5 I believe, not that that rules out overheads.

No apps available on PS4 to test speed beyond Sony's tests Smiley Sad

______________________
Scott

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 9.37K
  • 361
  • 2.31K
Superuser
Superuser
153 Views
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped


SCA1972 wrote:

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Browser based tests will have additional overheads because of drawing the graphs, running javascript and so on.

Maybe the mobile speedtest app works better, if available on the PS4?


I don't think the PS4 web browser does javascript or java or Flash, which is why a lot of speed test sites don't work in the PS4 browser.  The site I linked to does everything with HTML5 I believe, not that that rules out overheads.

Yeah that test is HTML5, but not all tests are. Javascript is required to run most sites on the web.

Java and flash will not be supported.

No apps available on PS4 to test speed beyond Sony's tests Smiley Sad

Yeah and Sony's tests are just to prove your connection works, not the maximum speed of your internet.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
ozgurcan
Tuning in
149 Views
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped

so will it still download in 200mph even dont it dont show it or not

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 9.37K
  • 361
  • 2.31K
Superuser
Superuser
146 Views
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow ps4 spped


ozgurcan wrote:

so will it still download in 200mph even dont it dont show it or not


It will download at whatever speed the server gives, which will likely be a lot less than 200Mb, depending on the server and how many people are using it.

e.g. If your PS4 download is at 70Mb (8MB / second) then you can also do a PC download from Steam at the same time for 130Mb (16MB /s), provided you can find servers that do that speed.

I don't have a PS4, so don't know what's normal.

0 Kudos
Reply