Menu
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

continued latency

Sorry virgin but your bad broadband is causing me unplayable latency and there has been bo signs of improvement so therefore im being forced to switch to sky or bt.
As a competive cod player im 1 or more second behing everyone else. its like the game is being played too fast i dont know whats going on im dead before i know it.
wired to xbox one, tried dmz off, port forwarding off, firewall off no improvement.
i pay for 50mb but half the time i get 30mb.
its not the cod servers as nobody else is having this problem as i ask them. so therefore the conclusion is i believe my connection is being throttled. VIRGIN broadband sucks!
0 Kudos
Martyn3
Tuning in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: continued latency

This is exactly the same problem i have constantly. I've been told there's high utilization in my area ever since i got virgin and they say it will be fixed every month (Now its supposedly going to be fixed in August). I am on the 152mb package and the connection just seems so unreliable/unstable. I also play competitive cod and when i do a tournament i get such a bad connection to the host no matter where they live. Its just so frustrating because I've also tried everything and had no improvement in my gaming experience.

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I know right. you just cant play cod competitive cod with ny connection. the latency is unreal ive never experienced latency like this before.
we both have connections more than capable of handling online gaming. the state my connection is making gaming unbearable. i mean you dont have thus much latency unless something fishy is going on. they told me my connection is fine, my superhub is fine, virgin servers are fine but clearly something is wrong. it has to be throttling.
im going to use my special tools and test if virgin are slowing my connection, port blocking or traffic shaping
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Add my gt ¡MoNsteR eNeR9y if you wanna play
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lee2

Thank you for your post, I'm sorry you are having problems with COD and thinking of leaving, we will have a look at your connection.

At the moment the hub is reporting offline so I am unable to check levels etc.

The area traffic is very low, the odd peak in the evening but not much at all. Area noise remains low with errors to a minimum. As you say it all looks good.

We do not throttle COD and the last time Virgin Media Cable traffic management policy was applied to your connection was last year.

It is a puzzle? If you would like us to check the line again please leave the hub on and let us know.

Don't want to cover old ground but does a traceroute reveal any issues?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes this problem is really frustrating because it makes playing competivive cod with my friends really unplayable. i try to explain the problem, its like im playing one or more seconds behind everyone else and its like sometimes the match is going too fast for me to know what is going on.
you guys keep telling me my connection, superhub are all fine with no problems which makes me even more frustrated with this problem as i dont know whats causing this latency problem. its like one match my connection is absolutely fine but then the next match the latency can be unplayable as im not able to do anything as im seconds behind other. players.
i tried everything like port forwarding, dmz host, upnp and firewall off nothing improved. i contacted xbox support and they told me to do l the above.
Activision support werent very helpful either as they told me to do the above as all and then they told me to come back to you guys.
im starting to believe that the problem is on tje cod servers as this latency problem in every single cod title also.
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

A traceroute looks very normal constant 30ms response until it starts hitting the cod servers in america which then i get 100ms plus responses which is normal.

like you said it is a puzzle as i have tried every possible solution i can think of. This provlem also happens when im the only person using the connection.

can i also ask if this issue can be related to my tv? and its input lag?
When i fire gun it happens instantly but when i do other actions like jump or dropshot or melee they dont get carried as much as they
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Did on my screen its like a delay. also people sometimes people in the lobby start shooting at me before ive even seen them emerge on my screen.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee2,

Thanks for providing further info, I've tried testing the connection again and afraid the hub is still reporting offline to us.

Have you tried connecting in modem mode with a wired connection?  If so, is that any better?  If not, could you give that a go and see if it makes a difference please?  Just to help narrow things down, does anything else run slow at all?  You mentioned in your first post your speeds are often 30 Mbps, is this a constant speed at all times, or slowing down during certain times of day?  If you do get faster speeds, is COD any better when played at these times?

If you could let me know I'll do what I can to help get this sorted Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The best i can describe the problem is a delay and unresponsive actions in omline games.
its like most of the time people in fps games will kill in me one shot with missing even with sniper rifles not everyone is tht good thts when i started to know that i was lagging.
ive tried modem mode before and the problem still ocurred.
i mostly get the speeds i should be getting and i just realised tht when downloading game updates tht the speed would drop to 30mbs.
0 Kudos