Menu
Gbro
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Xbox one strict nat

Hi I'm Virgin superbug 2 I've tried port forwarding all Xbox live ports but nearly always have strict nat. There are two Xbox ones in the house but even if only one is on still get strict nat . What are my best options as this is a pain I have no problems on PSN.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Xbox one strict nat

I guess it depends what you have adjusted in the SH2. In theory the SH2 was never designed to work with the XBOX ONE, and Microsoft is a US based company, hence it was developed for use in the USA, not the UK.

So many people come on the VM forums blaming VM because their XBOX ONE is either STRICT or MODERATE modes, when it should be open. In some cases switching the SH2 to Modem Only and use wireless on a Guest Network lowered to 2.4Ghz will "OPEN" the connection. This is not a brilliant way off fixing the problem though.

Basically, you have two pieces of kit that fail to connect correctly, even if you check the XBOX website and use the "Bumper" technique, which can damage the controller is totally stupid.

But there are ways around it, which are permanent but they will cost a little more money to get it working all correctly, unless VM updates their router in their SH2's to accommodate the XBOX ONE or more.

I got around it very easily, and we have 2 XBOX ONE's and 1 XBOX 360, PC's, loads of wireless devices and it all runs perfect. I looked on Ebay for a ASUS RT-N56U or higher router, I got one for £30 in the end. I updated the firmware and changed the SH2 to Modem Mode Only, cutting out the useless router of the SH2! Plug in your XBOX ONE or more in to the router or even wirelessly and you will find it's always "OPEN". You will never see a STRICT or MODERATE connection again.

It's the same on the BT and Sky forums, except on them it is speed which mine is always over 160Mb's downstream and a 12Mb upstream. I recommend the ASUS Router, it is a better built all rounder and usually you are looking at around the £100 mark for the latest model, the RT-N56U is the lowest to look for, I've had mine some time and never had problems, it has a much better wireless range on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, than the standard VirginMedia V2.0 wireless router.

Regards,

All Replies
Gbro
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there any chance you can check my hub from your end . I am just using the hub is it better to use a router with the hub in modern mode. Cheers
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I guess it depends what you have adjusted in the SH2. In theory the SH2 was never designed to work with the XBOX ONE, and Microsoft is a US based company, hence it was developed for use in the USA, not the UK.

So many people come on the VM forums blaming VM because their XBOX ONE is either STRICT or MODERATE modes, when it should be open. In some cases switching the SH2 to Modem Only and use wireless on a Guest Network lowered to 2.4Ghz will "OPEN" the connection. This is not a brilliant way off fixing the problem though.

Basically, you have two pieces of kit that fail to connect correctly, even if you check the XBOX website and use the "Bumper" technique, which can damage the controller is totally stupid.

But there are ways around it, which are permanent but they will cost a little more money to get it working all correctly, unless VM updates their router in their SH2's to accommodate the XBOX ONE or more.

I got around it very easily, and we have 2 XBOX ONE's and 1 XBOX 360, PC's, loads of wireless devices and it all runs perfect. I looked on Ebay for a ASUS RT-N56U or higher router, I got one for £30 in the end. I updated the firmware and changed the SH2 to Modem Mode Only, cutting out the useless router of the SH2! Plug in your XBOX ONE or more in to the router or even wirelessly and you will find it's always "OPEN". You will never see a STRICT or MODERATE connection again.

It's the same on the BT and Sky forums, except on them it is speed which mine is always over 160Mb's downstream and a 12Mb upstream. I recommend the ASUS Router, it is a better built all rounder and usually you are looking at around the £100 mark for the latest model, the RT-N56U is the lowest to look for, I've had mine some time and never had problems, it has a much better wireless range on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, than the standard VirginMedia V2.0 wireless router.

Regards,

Gbro
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was looking at the new asus rt-ac3200 think I will buy it tomorrow and give it a go thanks for the reply much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Gbro
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you use port forwarding or other settings on the asus routers I've never had one I have had net gear routers in the past but like the look and features of the asus
0 Kudos
Gbro
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello can you please check my vsh2
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Personally, unless you have problems with connecting to the servers you should not need to use Port Forwarding. If you do use Port Forwarding then you are locking your router to one XBOX, you will not be able to run anymore. Port Forwarding does what it says, forwards certain ports to a specific IP.

Some people have said they have used Port 3075, to replace 3074 on the XBOX ONE - due to VOIP not working correctly, I think this is down to the router you use, I have no Port Forwarding setup, the reason is we have 2 XBOX ONE's, so if I did that it would  restrict access to the other. One thing to note is that Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is enabled, this allows all devices on your network to work at the same time, and not lock all of them to one IP address.

If you need any setting up details just ask and I'll let you know what they should be, but in most cases with ASUS routers, they work straight 'out of the box', or if not it is easy to do a small firmware update. Mine I did have to update, but that was it being old and complete versions behind.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The SuperHub V2.0 is basically just a cable modem/router built to Virginmedia's specifications by Netgear!

I had so many problems with Netgear routers in the past I never recommend them now, all broadband equipment supplied by virginmedia is just re-badged Netgear items, hence why so many people hate the SuperHub V2.0.

There was a list that was being compiled on xbox.com regarding routers that were compatible with running XBOX ONE's, but it has not been updated in ages. A search on Google will bring that page up, and if the router listed does not work, all you need to do is update the firmware. Make sure the DMZ is not enabled, because this will cause conflicts, which you want to avoid.

Any setting that sets up anything to a single IP will normally cause conflicts.

0 Kudos