Menu
Josherson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Xbox one lag

I have been experiencing lag and input delay whilst gaming all day today. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this? It's been an ongoing issue since I've been with virgin. I have the fastest broadband package and I'm at a disadvantage most times I play online.
0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox one lag

Hi Josherson,

I am guessing you're using the super hub 3 on vivid 200. If you do a detailed netowork test what are the results. Speed should be fine but latency tends to be about 160? (This will be via a wired connection). Wireless connections via the hub3 don't work, as a short term fix make sure you use a cable to access the internet via your xbox. 

Longer term most recommendations are to buy a 3rd party router and put the virgin media one in modem mode. I haven't tested this yet but have ordered one today. Will let you know how it goes.

The problem arises because the VM hub doesn't open certain ports that the xbox one needs. (Also make sure you've opened the neccessary ports for a short term fix: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/GUIDE-Xbox-One-Port-Forwarding/td-p/3053801

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Will forwarding ports help with lag issues?

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not as far as i know, was just making sure he had opened the necessary ports, this would stop any disconnection errors for games and strict NAT types.

From all i have read, putting the superhub3 in modem mode and using a 3rd party router is the best option? But not tried it myself yet.

My latency with the superhub3 via a wired connection is 161, i'm on vivid 200, playing FPS games is impossible, i'm shot round corners. FIFA consistently drops out as well. Never had these problems with the SKY router.

Would love to see any other XBox gamer with this issue thats tried the modem mode solution?

Josherson
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I've tried modem mode, with another router with recommended ports open and modem mode straight to Xbox. Both lag the same, a lot. Resulting in my players seeming to not know where the ball is. Input delay. Tackling no where near the ball. Goalkeepers l reacting to shots late and letting easy ones in continuously, while their players and goalkeepers reactions are way ahead of my players. It's unbearable and not what I expected from a the vivid 200 gamer package
0 Kudos
emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have same issues shot round corners, rubber banding etc etc, having spoke with Activision they are blaming it on Virgin the connection issues we are having shouldn't be happening.  I also read that Activision have changed something on their servers to make the game fairer for people with poor internet, I only have 50mb download and 3mb upload yet with that I should be host on more lobbies but I rarely get host and the people I play against can be very laggy as the game is picking very poor lobby hosts.  But the gist from Activision is that it is Virgin Media who has the issue, to be fair this is happening to most VM customers we come across.

On a different note do Virgins staff frequent these forums? Can they not give us an idea about what's going on rather than community members having an educated guess?

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Josherson
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I explained everything in detail to someone from Virgin on the phone and he said "it's not our service its Microsoft ring them" So I hung up.
0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest what are your detailed network statistics via wired connection?

0 Kudos
Josherson
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Usually what they should be, 200 down. 20 up. 154 ping 0 packet loss.
Sometimes down to 150 down and 1% packet loss
0 Kudos
emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I did a detailed network statistics test this morning and it said 9mb dl and 1.4mb upload I then went to speedof.me and tested there it said I had 52mb dl and 3.2mb upload so totally at odds with what me Xbox was saying.
My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos