Menu
Lee190
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Very High Ping When downloading/Streaming

Hello,

I've recently been suffering from really high pings in games (over 150ms) when anyone else in the house is downloading/streaming youtube etc... this has only been a problem since dropping to 100Mb broadband (previously 200MB) I've tested this by downloading something on steam & then carrying out a speed test. This is making it impossible to use the internet when anyone else is downloading as the speeds are affected as well as the pings.I understand that I'm now at half the speed I was before but surely it shouldn't be this bad & some kind of bandwidth management should be in place so other things are not affected.I've even tried enabling Qos on a new router purchased but this hasn't solved the problem either.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very High Ping When downloading/Streaming

Have you put in your correct upload (and sometimes also download) speed in the Qos settings on the router and enabled some rules so as making http port 80 traffic (or whatever is used when downloading) to be at a lower priority?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very High Ping When downloading/Streaming

Hi Lee190,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

You're absolutely right, dropping down to 100Mb should not be causing this kind of issue. I've run a diagnostic on your equipment and I can see an issue with your Downstream Power levels.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to sort it out.

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos