Menu
shihabalsaid
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet download on the ps4

Hello,

I really don't know what am I supposed to do i'm trying to download a game it's 12GB and it tells me it will take 14 hours to download I have 200MB download speed per sec and still struggling with the internet speed. The PS4 is basically the main reason I pay for this internet speed. I don't know the problem is with the internet or the PS4 or what exactly. HELP!

Thank you,

Shihab

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
James1o1o
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet download on the ps4

Honestly this isn't a Virgin Media problem. PS4 download servers are notorious for being "slow". Try switching the DNS to Google DNS or OpenDNS.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shihab

You won't get 200Mbps download speed on the PS4 because the Sony servers can't deliver speeds that fast and in my experience they cap the speeds at around about 70Mbps.

What you can do is ensure you are connected via Ethernet cable to get the best possible speed.  Also one tip I have found to work occasionally is to pause the download for 30 seconds and then start it again.  This has sometimes resulted in faster speeds for me as I'm guessing it allocates my connection to a different server.

Have you tried a speed test on a PC with a gigabit Ethernet connection to see what speeds your line is able to achieve?  Much more reliable than a PS4 for measuring speeds.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The PSN servers have been slow for years. Plus the NIC in the PS4 is also a slow one.

Put the PS4 into Rest mode, with internet access, this can improve the download speed.

VM is not the problem here. I have said this since the Release days of the PS3 in the UK.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos