Menu
Penda
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Router setup

Hello,

i am new to virgin, I have just had installed the 200 meg BB, mainly for on line gaming. I seem to be struggling with lag issues can anyone suggest a 'best set up guide' to help me out.

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router setup

Hi Penda,

in terms of setup, will you be using VM installed equipment or do you intend to buy and run a cable router?

If you're serious about the gaming then unfortunately the supplied SuperHub won't have a comprehensive suite of options that will make the best use of your connection.

It can handle a good number of standard network task such as port forwarding etc but if you want to use Quality of Service to ensure a stable gaming connection then you will need a better router. Also it is worth noting that a new connection can sometimes stabilise over time, there is a small chance that the signal levels will need to be adjusted if they're too high or too low, this can cause issues on your connection in general.

Head over to thinkbroadband.com/ping and set up a Broadband Quality Monitor to see what you connection looks like to the internet, it's easier to identify some issues when running these monitors. If you have a SuperHub3 you may need to allow ICMP/Ping/anonymous internet requests before the graph will work however.

0 Kudos
Penda
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi stormfury,

thanks for the advice. The main purpose of me switching to virgin was because of the llag I suffered with BT when playing online gaming. As I have spent a small fortune on my pc  I would really like to appreciate the high speed BB virgin have installed. 

'Do you have ny recommendations for a router that can handle gaming.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've only recently done a post in another thread which goes over a few choices but not exhaustively.

The above video is a good breakdown of three commonly used gaming routers, each with their own pros and cons.

0 Kudos
Penda
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's great, thanks

0 Kudos