Menu
87rossyuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Nat Type Issues

Using super hub 2 for my PS4 and everything was fine until ithe internet cut out yesterday and I had to restart router to get it back working.

i always get OPEN (Type 1 NAT) but now I am stuck on moderate or sometimes strict which means  joining friends and games online has connection issues.

have restarted and rebooted router back to default factor y but still no joy

have tried looking online to fix but always seems to be stuck at moderate 

hoping for a quick fix or idiots guide to get this sorted 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Nat Type Issues

I have had moderate NAT type 2 for years on PS3 & PS4 with no impact on my gaming, but strict would be an issue.

Is it possible that in the past you had setup port forwarding or had put the PS4 in the DMZ in the hub?  Those are the usual sort of settings that can make the difference between open and moderate NAT.  A factory reset of the hub would have cleared any such settings.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
87rossyuk
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am having issues with moderate NAT type, I get disconnected from games, friends cannot join me and overall gaming experience is a lot worse.

I don't understand what Dmz or port forwarding are but I have rebooted and factory reset router but still have got moderate instead of open

Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try putting your hub into modem mode and just connect the PS4 to see if that makes any difference to your gaming experience.  There will be no wireless connectivity while in modem mode so this is just a diagnostic test to determine if your problems are being caused by poor routing within the hub when it is in router mode (not unheard of).  In modem mode the hub does no routing and all Internet traffic will be sent direct to your PS4.

Don't focus too much on the NAT type, Moderate is perfectly normal and actually safer than Open which exposes your console to the Internet with no protection.  The only NAT type to worry about is Strict.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi 87rossyuk, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with connecting to your PS4 since the internet cut out. 

Hopefully the information SCA1972 has helped you to get things sorted. 

If you are still having trouble let us know and we will take another look for you. 

I have taken a look at the general connection and things look ok from this side. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I run with NAT2 all the time, Never had a problem. Been in modem mode with an Asus RT-N66U router.

The RT-N66U takes care of NAT via UPnP.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos