Menu
Francesco
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Online gaming lag spikes and skype issues

Hi, I've been experiencing some intermittent lag spikes when gaming online (like short delays), but the ping remains low and my connection runs at full speed when tested on web sites like speedtest.net.

Also using skype and indoona VoIP apps cause some trouble:
with skype I get very poor video quality
with indoona the voice is heard intermittently like if the connection drops at regular intervals.

These issues are with my laptop and smartphone on wireless connection on both 2.4 and 5 ghz band.
Rebooting the modem solves the skype/indoona issues temporarily.
All of this seems to be happening since my last speed upgrade.

By connecting the laptop via Ethernet cable there are no lag spikes when gaming.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online gaming lag spikes and skype issues

Hi Francesco,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting spikes in games. As the wired connection is fine then the issue must be the wireless signal. Playing online requires as stable a connection as possible so I'd highly recommend remaining cabled if you can. Skyping and VoIP at the same time might be stretching the wireless. 

I'd first of all suggest trying different wireless channels to see which works best in your environment. 

Give that a try and let us know how you get on.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Francesco
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online gaming lag spikes and skype issues

I've got a strong full bars signal, the issue happens even when I'm sitting in the same room as the modem.
Moving to a different channel doesn't help.
Even on 5 Ghz I've got the same issue.
0 Kudos