Menu
Skarium
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lag issues on "The Division"

Hey guys, I tried out The Division in its open beta and had some lag issues such as really delayed hitreg, but I chalked those up to the game servers being overloaded with people like me trying to test out the game.

I still went forward and pre-ordered the game, preloading it yesterday and finishing the download today. However, the lag issue is still here and it's really bad. 

In fact, have a look at this quick video I've made, and sorry about the bad quality. I don't have any issues with any other game, I'm on a 200/12 connection, all wired so no WiFi crap slowing the connection down.

I would appreciate any help, and thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag issues on "The Division"

Hi Skarium, 

Are you able to find an ip that you would have been connected to through the game?

It would be worth trace routing their servers and finding out if there are any issued there. 

It would be interesting to see if this is a similar problem to the valve and riot servers that are currently happening. Specifically gtt servers seem to be a problem with VM. 

But certainly try getting some hard evidence of a connection issue by trace routing the IP that the game servers use.

Also get on thinkbroadband.com and set-up and run a profile of your connection, i am currently gathering data myself on my connection as I am simply unable to play most games that I enjoy to play, which I will be posting shortly. But there is not a lot that can be done when you simply say "I am lagging" without any network evidence. 

The more evidence we can provide VM to these issues will 1) help them diagnose the issue, and hopefully 2) speed up any sort of solution for their issues.

0 Kudos
Skarium
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't find their server IP yet, I didn't think I was going to be able to find it.

I don't know much about how the game works but it seems to have multiple servers that you switch between as you matchmake with different players. I've tried matchmaking a few times myself, thinking maybe it's just a one-off problem with the server I was connecting to, but the issue persisted nonetheless.

I'll keep looking but I doubt I can find any IP to traceroute for some evidence; perhaps Ubisoft Support could lend me a hand on that though. Thanks anyways!

0 Kudos
frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I can't offer any suggestion to server ips I haven't played the game myself.

I beta tested it but at the time my pc was so bad I just gave up. Recently upraded, and now can't seem to get a stable ping anywhere :'(. One step forward two steps back as usual!

Certainly contact Ubisoft and ask if they can offer any server details to trace route. Also ask them to trace route back to your ip, this could also help.

Do you have any issues on any other games/services?
0 Kudos
Skarium
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have almost no issue on the other games I play or my general browsing, that's what's getting me completely stumped.

In the meanwhile I did find a small set of things to do posted by Ubisoft for connection issues, so I'm trying those at the moment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Skarium wrote:

I would appreciate any help, and thanks for reading.

Try a VPN. e.g. https://airvpn.org/

They have a selection of servers around the world that you can tunnel to, to avoid any traffic type issues.

Also setup a BQM to monitor the latency on your hub connection: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

0 Kudos
Skarium
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Quick update on this:

It is the Superhub acting up or having a defect, but only screwing up the connection when playing this game and nothing else.

So far I've tried using my phone's mobile internet to play and there was only the issue of high ping, which is expected with a crappy mobile connection. I also picked up a cheapo router which actually lets me play with no lag whatsoever, but its ethernet ports are 10/100Mbit only so my speed is limited from the usual 200Mbit I get.

This leads into a slightly different question, how would I contact VM for a replacement Superhub to see if that would fix it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Skarium wrote:

so my speed is limited from the usual 200Mbit I get.

This leads into a slightly different question, how would I contact VM for a replacement Superhub to see if that would fix it?

I'm guessing from what you say about being on the 200Mb tier that you have the Superhub 3 (VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM)? (see bottom of hub for designation). It's the only white hub.

You can ask the VM Forum Team for a SH2ac (the best one in my opinion) and they should send you one if you're having problems with the SH3. As the SH3's firmware is not finished yet and you would have version 9.1.88J5 which still has some issues, whereas on the trial we have 9.1.88T.

Skarium
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have a Superhub 2ac, model VMDG490; sorry I didn't mention it in my first post.

I'll see if I can get a replacement sorted, thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Skarium wrote:

Quick update on this:

It is the Superhub acting up or having a defect, but only screwing up the connection when playing this game and nothing else.

It's very unusual for a hub to screw up the connection with only one game and nothing else. That's more likely to be something like routing, peering, or something within or outside (e.g. on the edge of) VM's network.

So far I've tried using my phone's mobile internet to play and there was only the issue of high ping, which is expected with a crappy mobile connection.

Mobile networks have different peering with other networks, so your traffic will go a different route than on VM. Which is why I advised trying a VPN as a diagnostic test.

You're not the only person to experience issues like this, but at this stage we don't know if your hubs power levels are correct, if the latency shows up on a Thinkbroadband graph, or any of the other basic diagnostic tests. So it may be jumping the gun..

See the other threads I'm commenting on with similar issues.

I also picked up a cheapo router which actually lets me play with no lag whatsoever, but its ethernet ports are 10/100Mbit only so my speed is limited from the usual 200Mbit I get.

It's always advised to run any Superhub in "modem mode" for the best experience. Then attach a 3rd party router, such as the Asus RT-N66U. That will always give you better performance than any all-in-one hub on any ISP.

I assume you already tried modem mode with your cheapo router, but I'll give the link anyway: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27555&CURRENT...

0 Kudos