Menu
AlexH1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Lag Spikes (Games and Voip)

For a few months now I've been getting constant intermittent lagg spikes playing Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. In HOTS it feels like every 5 or so seconds it will stutter for a second, in Overwatch it can be a few seconds of lagg that (and generally just flags me with a bad connection). More recently I'm starting to noticed that my voip (Skype, Discord and Teamspeak) are becoming unusable with me being incoherent to other people in the channel, whilst they sound fine. These can happen at any time, not just during peak times, whether I'm playing at 1am, 6am or 12pm, I still get these problems.

This seems to be a fairly common issue on these forums, not sure if it's all the same reason or what the solution is, but it is unfortunately making games unplayable and skype unusable (both of which I use as part of my job).

Halp?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Lag Spikes (Games and Voip)

Which HUB do you have?

How are you connecting to it?

What does a speed test say?

0 Kudos
AlexH1
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the virgin super hub connected in router mode, I'm connected to it directly from the wall into my PC (not through wifi)

speedtest says my connection is fine (~50 mbps DL and 2.5 mbps UL)

(Appreciate the quick response Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

0 Kudos
AlexH1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Upstream.jpg

Downstream.jpg

NetworkLog.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All looks okay- have you anything going on LAN side that would use upstream bandwidth? Backups to the cloud, P2P, Twitch streaming that sort of thing?

Can you test running straight to your HUB in modem mode?

AlexH1
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We're using wireless but I'm the only person that does anything intense, just tablets and phones, but no one really using the bandwidth. I don't Twitch, nothing auto-clouding, the most is streaming stuff to the ChromeCast, but I have these problems even when I've not been streaming/it's not even hooked up.

I tested in Modem mode and everything seems to be fine, no lag at all, tried it again this morning an all is fine (can't test my voip at the moment but given how well the games are now performing this has definitely cleared the issue). Does this suggest an issue with the router, obviously I need to have the wireless mode otherwise everyone is ripping through their dataplans in the house.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

AlexH1 wrote:

I tested in Modem mode and everything seems to be fine, no lag at all, tried it again this morning an all is fine (can't test my voip at the moment but given how well the games are now performing this has definitely cleared the issue). Does this suggest an issue with the router, obviously I need to have the wireless mode otherwise everyone is ripping through their dataplans in the house.

Sort of.  It doesn't indicate a fault with the router, just that its doing what it does.

There is no QOS on the HUB range. Which means that packets queue up at the router and get sent in strict arrival order. FIFO. SO when you add the inherent latency of WiFi to that, you get a rubbish experience for any application that requires low latency.

You can work round it- Hard wired connections will not see the same spiking - If you physically cant use cables, I use power-lines with QOS settings to smooth things out for gaming devices to connect , or a better router with HUB in modem mode will likely work. However you will still see increased spiking on wireless due to the nature of the protocol.

0 Kudos
AlexH1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any idea why this has started happening? I've had this router for well over a year and had no problems for the majority of that time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With a wireless connection, it could be anything. Increased number of routers in the area using overlapping frequencies,  increased interference from other devices, more devices on the Wi-Fi.

Have you run through Wi-Fi troubleshooting to see if there are alternate channels clear in your area you could switch too...

0 Kudos