Menu
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Gaming and the SuperHub

I am one of many World of Warcraft players, amongst other gamers that seem to be having troubles playing games. Up til the early part of July all things were good and there were no problems. However since then when I play WoW I have a consistently low FPS with the highest being 50 and then dropping down to 1 or 0 at times and this makes the game unplayable.   I have sought help from Blizzard, the people who built my PC and they have offered my lots of solutions to try and help the situation. I initially blamed WoW as they did an update around that time and I thought that might have been the cause.

However it seems that it could be VM as I understand that there was an update to the Hub around the same time. I have a SuperHub and WoW is not the only thing that is affected. It seems that just general internet browsing is very slow - it takes ages to go from pages on a website, to open up websites, my tablet is forever bringing up a message to say its not connected to the internet etc etc etc.

I have done some more testing on my PC tonight and was told at one point " the connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken "   !!!!!!!!  

It is looking more and more likely that  it is VM that has caused this then,   please please please VM let us know and tell us of a fix - we pay a lot of money for your "service" and you are currently removing all pleasure from internet use.

I hope to be able to start playing Final Fantasy XIV but there seems to be similar problems there too..... hence a VM problem.  Please sort it out.

Yours hopefully for a fix very very very very very soon, thanks.

CSMacDonald
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming and the SuperHub

Don't hold your breath, it took weeks for them even to acknowledge that the problem is with them. 

Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi JuJuDoll,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection. It doesn't sound like this is linked to the same issues CSMacDonald is referring to as your general connection is suffering rather than just gaming. This does appear to only cause dropping out and not any detriment to ping times. 

I've checked your connection and everything looks fine from this end. Your power levels, SNR and contention are all healthy. 

Could you put your hub in modem mode to see if this fixes the issue? This is just for testing purposes, I want to see if the hubs router functions or the other devices on the local network are having an effect. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That's all very well but this will imply that there is a fault in the system and if there is does that mean I will get a replacement etc.    It strikes me that there are too many people having the same types of problems all over the country which leads me to think that it is a VM problem particularly if all other tests check out correctly. How long am I supposed to be wireless as per this change to my super hub - do I leave it like that for a few days, a few weeks ???  I know that you have said its for testing but unless you are online to see my response it could be days before we know that things are ok.    Wireless activity seems to be ok apart from a tablet not connecting properly - it can take 3-4 attempts to connect - however all other devices seem fine.  I still think that there is more to this and VM are not admitting any form of liability to its hundreds of customers that are still suffering.  I will switch my superhub to modem mode for a few days and I would expect that someone will look at things sooner rather than later.

If this test results in a fault and I have to stay in modem mode - are you going to provide me with a router to get wireless again or if not a reduction on my bill to provide this - the whole point was for one unit to do both jobs else what is the point (as far as my limited understanding of how all this works goes that it!!)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi JuJuDoll,

We are looking into the issues affecting gaming as I stated in my previous post, I also said that your particular issue does not appear to be linked because it affects your general connection not just gaming. This is why I've asked you to try modem mode. If you could try this for 24 hours and let us know how your gaming experience is in that mode as well as making note of any drop outs or continued effects that would be great. Just use 192.169.100.1 to sign into the hub while in modem mode to bring it back to normal. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This being virgin media, they have never been known to be quick, when it comes to fixing problems, any time now or shortly is VM speak for we haven't a clue and by past examples can be months to never!

0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm putting my Hub into modem mode this evening and with luck will want to put it back to "normal" around this time tomorrow evening.  I hope that will give you enough time to see what is going on and/or fix the situation.

0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So, I have  been in modem mode for 24hrs as requested, and even told you that I was doing it and when I wanted to go back to "normal" mode but surprise surprise no response - no message - no acknowledgement. How long am I supposed to be like this  ??  I got the impression that there would be a response pretty much straight away.  

As an update - whilst modem mode may have improved the moving between web pages slightly there are incredibly long delays in pages loading up.  World of Warcraft is pretty much  the same ie lag, low FPS etc etc   but the biggest pain of all is that I cannot use my gadgets wirelessly  - how long before there is an answer, a fix or even just a decent bit of customer service.   

All these problems that I and other gamers are having must be done to something that VM has done - otherwise it must be the biggest coincidence in the world that all our hubs/routers etc etc have all developed the same problem (s) at the same time.

I would normally expect a brilliant service from VM but sadly it seems not to be Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi JuJuDoll,

I think you may have misunderstood me. I asked you to try modem mode and let us know how it affects your experience, not so that we can check while in that mode. I have to clarify that the firmware issues we've seen and are investigating is to do with gaming connections dropping out. This does not affect latency on your games or your general connection which is why I am running through these diagnostics. 

If modem mode has improved things then there is an issue somewhere on the LAN side of things as this mode only allows one connection at a time. If there has been no effect then the issue lies on the network end of things and we can concentrate our efforts there. 

0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me - as you may appreciate I am quite annoyed by this hence my slightly angry posts.   As said before things were ok before the beginning of July, but at the same time that WoW did an upgrade it seems that VM did the same too so its been a pretty frustrating past few weeks with both companies asking for tests to be done and no one seemingly owing up to causing any of the problems to start with -  however it looks as though its more a BB or VM problem than anything else.    With the fact that other games are affected it all points to the ISP.

I like most customers are not super techy wiz's with lots of knowledge on how these things work or don't work as the case may be - all we know is that things are not working as they should be or used to be prior to the beginning of July - hence the frustration as we do not understand all the language etc.

When I was in Modem Mode - there was still very low FPS on WoW even freezing at times,  loading time for screens took an age to come up,  loading screens for most internet pages took a long time - even my home page which is VM.   Now with the SH back to normal there is not a massive difference - there is still very low FPS on WoW and freezing,  long time for loading screens etc - so either way there is something wrong somewhere and I either need to have an engineer round or a new Hub/Router etc etc to make things back as to how they should be ie normal FPS with games, quick loading of screens etc etc.

0 Kudos