Menu
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating Ping

Hello,

Whenever I play online game or connect to a server, my ping has been fluctuating between normal (15-40ms) to any value ranging between 100ms and 1600ms. I have been having this issue for approximately 3 weeks. I use a powerline adapter for my connection and this issue occurs when on wifi or powerline. I have the 200Mbps package and this is completely unacceptable. Prior to this issue, I would have considered Virgin Broadband to be the best that money can buy in my area. 

Here is a recent speedtest result: 

The ping, strangely, does not appear to be high on this speedtest. Although the download speed is subpar but manageable. Any suggestions?

Ping to bbc.co.uk

Traceroute to bbc.co.uk

Ping to League of Legends EUW server: 

Traceroute to League of Legends EUW server:

The issue seems to occur at all times of the day. I am really on the end of my tether with this issue and I am seriously considering cancelling my contract when it ends due to the poor service.

Any help would be much appreciated and I will try to respond as fast as possible.

Regards, Tina. 

0 Kudos
d4yl33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating Ping

Sorry to say it but VM seem to suffer from high ping/latancy which every post you read on VM forum under gaming they all state high ping
I'm having the same issue and this week I went a got bt broadband and wow what a big big big differents to on line gaming I'm already planing on cancelling with VM as service is very poor and getting very over priced

There is no answer to your problem as read all posts under gaming issues and all they ask is if your wired or wireless etc etc
And I have done everything and like in another post have a Microsoft engineer here well he has gone now and he said, well not going to say what was said but all I would say is if you can get out of your contract I would run
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Did you cancel your contract before it had expired? I am looking to switch to BT but the advertised speeds are about 76Mbps yet Virgin is 200Mpbs (for my package). I would say Virgin seems to be hands-down a better provider when it is actually working. I just don't understand why all of a sudden I go from having no problems at all to huge ping spikes. I have spoken 6 times to the Virgin support staff and they give me all manner of illogical and frankly stupid reasons: one guy even tried to tell me that the game companies are artificially making my ping higher to make the game a more even experience. They don't seem to get that I have tested it myself and there is no issue with powerline adapter or wifi. The issue is on their end, before coming into the house. On my last phone call, I managed to get a new router sent. If that doesn't work then an engineer will come out. It is just really disappointing how Virgin can let me down like this. 

0 Kudos
d4yl33
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With bt I the 30meg pack and get 30 and upload is around 10 and yet my ping is around 60
How ever with VM with old and new router
I get 50 down load
3.00 upload
And we'll got it down to 160 ms
And this is with same xbox

I don't bother calling them anymore as the last guy I spoke to was as helpful as a chocolate tea pot as he asked me all the same question as I get asked on here and anywhere and he said Mr Brown everything is fine it to do with xbox servers
and our end is fine and working fine.
Now what I can not get my head around is this

VM state that at 50 meg you get only a max of 4 upload
And as you up your Deal you get more
But bt, sky and most of them don't touch the upload that stays the same all they do is you up you deal for more download
And I know this as a friend is on bt and is got the highest deal but yet still only gets upload of around 10
So it's alright to have this high down which is great for downloading and watch your films but with gaming it needs to be able to send info back but because VM is blocking or only given you 4 then it like 100.0000 people trying to get out of door only big enough for a max of 2 people
Yeah OK let up the download speed to 200 megs but still only give you 15 to 20 upload speed so again your getting all this rushing in but yet can not send it back

Regarding a call I spoke to VM only the other day her name was Clarie but I could not understand the poor English and she turns round and said Mr Brown 4megs is 4% or 50 download I turn round and said since when are we talking %.
She turns round and topped it of by saying
Mr Brown the weather plays apart in the Internet 😂😂

I'm first thing Monday morning cancelling my service with VM and I think a lot of people are going to soon be doing the same if they don't sort this out

I will end with this I have had this issue now for 2 years had 3 xbox ones as was told the xbox could be at fault I have been out got new TV for gaming as I was told it could be getting feed back and needs gaming mode on TV I have spent 32 pound on new tethnet cables I got new hdmi cables and tried 6 different ones

So if you or anyone finds out how to fix this poop service I'm all ears which I don't think it will due to VM restricting things
0 Kudos
Stevemc0
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you got the super hub3 ? If do there is a problem with the puma 6 chips inside them it's how they handle the info etc. Intel are working on a firmware fix for this. You could try and ssk for the super hub 2 which will sort the problem, but getting one from them is near on impossible. Hopefully a moderator will see your post and may be able to help you out to get one
0 Kudos
d4yl33
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had a super hub 2 ac which stopped work and just got the 3 and both are well I would not wipe my ****s with
With the head ache I have had and no answer I'm gone else where for sure
Sky can offer me 40 meg with upload speeds of 10 more the same as bt
I currently using bt but have 14 days cool off
Sky can offer me tv, phone and Internet cheaper than VM plus they clearly state if they can not provide a service they will lower the price on the service which is poor
I don't see this with VM but I guess if they did they would end up closing

It's like going out for dinner paying around 600 pound and only getting a bit of cheese
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ye I have been reading around and I am almost certain that it is to do with the SH3's firmware issue. I have ordered a new router but I am sure that it will be a SH3. How can I get Virgin to send me a SH2? Is there anyway I can purchase a SH2?

0 Kudos
MatthewS92
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issue with the Super Hub 3 which I got when upgrading to 200mb with the 20mb Upload speeds. 

No-one I spoke to via web-chat or telephone was willing to listen so I've gone and bought a Super Hub 2 from eBay for £10 and activated it, good riddance Hub 3.

0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is there no way I can buy a SH2 from Virgin? I am worried as the SH2s on eBay are second-hand and may be damaged. I would rather buy one new, do you know any viable alternatives? 

0 Kudos
MatthewS92
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They simply said no as they stopped manufacturing the routers as to how true that is I don't know.

I understand the concern but at least you're backed by PayPal if someone does sell you a dodgey router but for alternatives you could always contact the technician who installed your service providing you have the number and see if it's possible for them to obtain it.

0 Kudos