Menu
Rocketdog79
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Eve Online - Socket Closed

Recently I have been having issues with connection dropping whilst playing Eve Online. I get a message that the socket has closed.
I'm connected to the Superhub 2 via a network plug, I've noticed that after disconnect, the network icon on my PC displays a exclamation and states that I'm not connected to the internet.
I have rebooted the router, changed network cables and tried a different network plug but it still keeps happening, sometimes it happens multiple times in an hour and it happens at different times of the day.
This has been happening for just under a week and previously I had no issues.
I've also checked my broadband status on the VM website and it shows no problems.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Eve Online - Socket Closed

I haven't had these issues personally but I'll certainly check. Does this only happen when playing EVESmiley Surprised or does it happen even when not playing?

If you're seeing the ! mark over your network it could also be system related, have you run through the networking troubleshooter when this happens?

0 Kudos
Rocketdog79
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It does seem to only happen when I play Eve, I haven't noticed it any other time.

I have checked the networking troubleshooter, but it doesn't usually find anything. The internet drop only occurs for about half a minute, then I'm connected again.
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suppose you could look at the logs on the SH, it should have events of when a connection is dropped, this could help diagnose the issue as well. I'll have to give the game a go tonight but it would be odd if an application caused the connection to drop completely.
0 Kudos
Rocketdog79
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The issue is still ongoing, so here's an update. The network adapter appears to restart itself, but ONLY when Eve is running, its fine all other times.
I was beginning to think it was an issue with my PC, so I ran Eve on a laptop which was connected via wifi and it ran for a couple of hours without incident, I then ran two Eve clients simultaneously, one on the laptop and one on the PC, both with a wired connection.. within an hour, both connections dropped. So from this point on I used only wifi on the PC and the connection dropped on this also, but an iPhone also on wifi did not lose connection.
I have also called Virgin Media twice regarding this matter, they told me everything seems fine but did remotely restart the router and got me to do a couple of speed checks. So I'm quite confused as to where the problem lies.. it's looking like it could be the router itself, but only when Eve is running!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Rocketdog79

How interesting, I wonder if it could be hub related, funny how it just started though as do not think it coincided with a firmware update. I could send you our latest hub 3. Would like to give that a try?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Rocketdog79
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for replying! Yes it is quite odd, I have tried everything I can think of, including reinstalling the whole game, uninstalling and reinstalling network adaptor drivers and running a windows repair tool.
That would be great if you could send a me super hub 3 to see if that solves the issue.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Rocketdog,

be warned and read the problems relating to the SH3, there are MANY issues with the current SH3 and the firmware it is running.

0 Kudos
Leon2969
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I installed SH3 four days ago. On the same day and since installation I have random socket closes while playing Eve online. I had a SH2 previously and I haven't had socket closures for several months. 

Is there a work around?

0 Kudos