Menu
sketchie
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Completely unacceptable ping making all online games unplayable

I recently moved into a new house, decided that virgin had the best value for money and offered speeds far superior to my previous provider (talk talk) so went bought virgin internet.

I play a lot of games, and use skype a lot, but despite supposedly being a faster connection both tasks are completely impossible.

I have a wired connection and I get a minimum average ping of about 40 and incredibly common spikes up to about 1000, combined with fairly common packet loss.

before I had a 14mb connection with talktalk, before that I was on a uni network with an 8mb connection, neither of which gave me any gaming problems, virgin on the other hand, despite being fine for streaming, is absolutely appalling for anything else.

I started running a thinkbroadband test last night, here is what it looks like right now:

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Completely unacceptable ping making all online games unplayable

Reboot you super hub router mode if you want it stable over a long time use modem mode.
0 Kudos

All Replies
OokraMoO
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Get out now if you are still in the cooling off period, this has been going on for 6+ months with no fix in sight, your area is over subscribed and they need to dig up the roads and lay cables to fix it.
0 Kudos
Jam87
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Agree with the above, mods don't even seem bothered as well. CSGO by any chance?
0 Kudos
sketchie
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

CS:GO, TF2, Dota, anything (kinda feel like a valve fanboy...)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Reboot you super hub router mode if you want it stable over a long time use modem mode.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi sketchie

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems that you are experiencing. The BQM graph you've posted is definitely not looking too healthy.

I'm unable to locate your details to run some checks so I will send you a private message (red envelope top left hand corner) for some additional information and get this looked into.

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
sketchie
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

that awkward moment when the internet is so bad that you can connect to dubai faster than west europe...

0 Kudos
sketchie
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also, updated BQM graph, if anything it's getting worse:

packets getting dropped all over the place and frankly obscene minimum ping spikes (I say spikes... those huge blocks are almost an hour long each)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi sketchie

Thanks for replying to my PM, I've been able to run a few checks on your connection. We do have a ticket raised for peak time contention (F003410471) with an estimated review date of 28/10/2015 but I don't think this is the sole cause of your issues.

I would like to arrange an engineer visit to look into this further for you so I will send you another PM to get this arranged.

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
sketchie
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, I seem to have temporarily fixed the issue by completely refreshing the firmware on the hub (see the BQM chart) who knows how long it'll work for, but I just played a few games of Dota and it's all working silky smooth Smiley Very Happy

I shall update if it goes bad again...

0 Kudos