Menu
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 26 (447 Views)

Re: unable to sign in to rubbish virgin email

Access emails via IMAP to avoid having to use webmail and if incoming IMAP emails are filtered to the local inbox POP like behaviour can be replicated (download and delete/purge).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 12 of 26 (339 Views)

Hi All, 

Sorry for the trouble you have had accessing Webmail. 

I have taken a look and there is a fault raised, ref F005179083.

Where possible for the moment client mail is the best work around but we are investigating and aware of the issue

Again apologies for the trouble logging in. 

As soon as we know more we will let you know. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 13 of 26 (265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

I've also had trouble getting into web mail recently, but have been trying to be patient, and every now and then I could log in -- able to view/send emails for short periods.

Yesterday, I noticed the Fault Ref: F005179083, and signed up for updates.  Today at 13.09, I had a confirmation email that it was fixed, but have absolutely no luck signing in.  I can't even get into My Virgin Media to see if there are other faults I can keep track of!

Just venting really, as what else can we do at this stage.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 14 of 26 (261 Views)

@MissPasko

You do have cause for concern because the particular situation you describe. You need to urgently set up an e-mail client to read your mail. That works. Guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The easiest client to use is Thunderbird because it will set up the server etc details automatically. Download it but only from the genuine Mozilla site. Go nowhere else for it.

You must absolutely select the IMAP protocol so you can see your previous e-mails, not just the new ones that arrive.

This wretched fault may last for a long time. You have no other choice.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
Superuser
Message 15 of 26 (256 Views)

@MissPasko

I concur with Howard.  From my own experience mail is flowing into email clients such as Thunderbird, so it's the main Webmail platform that's causing the issue.

You don't need to rely on webmail.  I recommend downloading and installing Thunderbird (or any other mail client of choice).  This will let you get at your emails.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Message 16 of 26 (243 Views)

@MissPasko

Post back here if you need further advice. We'd be happy to help.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM.
Up to speed
Message 17 of 26 (226 Views)

I am about to download Thunderbird - Can I ask if the settings will be the same if I have an ntlworld email address?

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 18 of 26 (218 Views)

MissPasko wrote:

I am in protracted negotiations with an American bank over USD $3000 they owe me, so slightly concerned at the communication delays - I don't want them to think I'm going to forget my money

Hi MissPasko

Going off the sorry topic of VM email problems for a moment but your comment above concerns me.

Please be very careful using email to discuss financial matters and I am referring to email generally not VM email specifically.

There is a cliche that 'an email is like a postcard' which could be a whole discussion point on its own but the accepted advice from security experts is not to send credit card numbers or bank account details in an email. There have been many cases of people being defrauded because criminals have been able to gather that information by one means or another.

Just remember the famous words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus from the 1980s series Hill Street Blues, "Hey, let's be careful out there."

Coenoby

Superuser
Message 19 of 26 (194 Views)

MissPasko wrote:

I am about to download Thunderbird - Can I ask if the settings will be the same if I have an ntlworld email address?

You will find that T'bird will select the right servers for you automatically. I think the way VM may have configured its servers mean that it will select the new unified settings. That is OK. If you are asked to select then select the NTLworld settings. They'll work for a while yet.  Keep the page I linked you to for reference. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM.
Up to speed
Message 20 of 26 (193 Views)

Thanks - you are absolutely correct.  I do know better!  And I haven't given any specific details to anyone.  I'll ask the mods to blank out those detail here!

0 Kudos