Menu
suekirk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

spam emails

Hi , can you tell me why I am getting spam emails even when I have spam filter and marking them as spam I get them again and again very frustrating and not much point in having spam filter !!!!! 

am getting spam about sexual things its disgusting please sort it out !!!!!!! spam filter does not work !!!!

0 Kudos
suekirk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

spam emails

Hi , can you tell me why I am getting spam emails even when I have spam filter and marking them as spam I get them again and again very frustrating and not much point in having spam filter !!!!!  am getting spam about sexual things its disgusting please sort it out !!!!!!! spam filter does not work !!!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam emails

You have answered your own question. The filters are not working well at present though we are promised they will work better in the future.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

'We are promised...... '

Where did that come from? Most VM customers get no response and why should this problem raise its head yet again? If there is a problem then VM should acknowledge it and keep its customers updated. But it doesn't.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You will not be able to reject them either any more it would seem.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Two misleading replies to the OP and my response. That cannot stand.

If there is any advantage in being a Superuser then it is that being a little closer to VM's thinking means that we have some insight into what is going to happen next. This means that I can say with complete honesty (although without blinkers) that we understand things will improve as VM sorts out its spam filtering. I wouldn't say it unless I had grounds for believing it was true.

Secondly, and it only takes a proper reading of the announcement to understand it, users will be able to change their spam filtering options back if they don't like the new default that VM sets starting this week. It might help if you read this further advice I have prepared to enlarge on the VM statement. But do not make erroneous assumptions about what is happening and why.

"This change by VM should largely see the end of the “spam content found” issue being experienced by senders of e-mail and complaints from VM mail users that mail is not getting through. This is to be entirely welcomed.

But just to add a little to the VM sticky post and emphasise some issues. You should not change this default spam setting. If you do you will be back to square one and will not see all the mail that is being legitimately sent to you.

You will probably see more spam in both your web mail spam and in-box folders. The VM spam filters are not, by any means, perfect. But this is a small price to pay to ensure that the right mail does get through. Please do as VM ask and mark mail as “not spam” if it has been wrongly classified.

Also remember (and this is of vital importance for people who use POP on their e-mail clients to manage e-mail) that you must check your web mail spam folder regularly. Stuff in there will be automatically deleted after 30 days. When that happens it will be irretrievable and you may lose mail you actually want to see.

This change puts VM web mail on a par with what happened under the former Google based e-mail system. The power to decide what is and is not spam has been returned to you. That should have been the position from the outset of the new system. The Superusers involved in this saga are pleased that this has now happened. We shall watching and pressing for the necessary further improvements in spam filtering to ensure more efficient filtering of mail into the right folders."

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

You will not be able to reject them either any more it would seem.

Wrong - What's happening is that Virgin Media are changing the settings over the next 2-3 weeks.  Where the settings are reject mail, they will be changed to deliver to the spam folder.

In case you hadn't noticed, Virgin's spam filters have been blocking mail from a LOT of legitimate senders over the past 12 months.  While they definitely need to address the spam filters themselves, this setting change is the first logical step in resolving the issue.  It gets mail flowing back to the recipients, even if it does and up in their spam folders

When the changes are complete then by all means people are free to change the settings back to reject, but bearing the above in mind users will be foolish to do so at this time.

The fact is that because spam is getting to your inbox, it wouldn't be rejected anyway.

As Superusers we are given information that Virgin don't necessarily want shared with other users.  The fact is that we were made aware of the spam filter changes on Friday, but were sworn to secrecy.

While I personally think Virgin is foolish to withhold some information from users.  As a Superuser I have to respect their request that information they consider privileged is not passed on.  Likewise I also follow that same ethos when other users share information via PM.  That information is not made public without their express permission either.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

An interesting read!

Maybe this explains why my inbox has been having loads of blatant spam delivered again, rather like it was a year ago. There are quite a few threads over the last week or so of people saying that the spam is back in spades.

So, if I read this correctly, the spam filter monkey in Virgin Towers has been told to turn the knob on the spam filter anti-clockwise, to allow through all the legitimate stuff from well know companies, that it has been blocking for months. This of course opens the floodgates to all the junk that was being suppressed and that's now flooding into the Inboxes again, just as it was last year. Clearly they have learned nothing in the last 15 months. Totally incompetent!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Where on earth did you get that idea from?

The changes announced yesterday change what happens to mail marked as spam.  They don't change what mail is marked as spam and what isn't.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Raven,

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, but I was having a read of various threads in this part of the forum earlier. I saw a few threads about emails being rejected as spam by VM. Emma had replied to them with comments like this one

"Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails being bounced as Spam. 

There has been a change to our systems recently which should prevent this from happening. "

Now whatever those changes are, which should prevent legitimate emails being incorrectly bounced as spam, seems to have happened at exactly the same time as the spam intake to our inboxes has gone back to something like it was a year ago. Any other suggestions as to why the spam is back in spades?

0 Kudos