Menu
mef31
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email not sending mail on iphone

Ive posted on this subject a couple of times now but if proof were ever needed then here it is!

My wifes ntlworld.com emails stopped sending some weeks back on her iphone for no apparent reason. My sons stopped as well. Both can recieve but get a password not recognised error when trying to send.

Lots of stuff about changing passwords, deleting accounts and re-installing making sure you use Howards method. None of this worked.

Today i take a brand new iphone. I setup my wifes email account, it stalls with a timeout error on smpt.ntlworld port 465. I setup my account on it and it works perfect.

Yes, the password is correct and yes the password works on pc for web mail. 

I then set my account up on her iphone, it works perfectly, hers does not.

I try chat on virginhelp, they have no clue. Tell me to ring gadget help, like im going to pay for that.

Can someone in virginmedia please escalate this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld email not sending mail on iphone

Hi Mark,

I'm really sorry for the longer than expected wait for this. But I.T. actually sorted this out earlier this morning. You should get no more VM304 errors or other SMTP failures. Please try sending mail, on your wife's email address, and let me know if it's all resolved, thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi mef31,

I am really sorry if your previous reports on this subject were unanswered. But thank you very much for your comprehensive post as it means we can move forward more quickly with this Smiley Happy

I do need to know what the affected email address is , and don't want this to be posted publicly, so please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get this investigated.

Jen
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi mef31,

Thanks for that.

I've inspected SMTP logs for both email addresses. I cannot find any sent from your son's address during the past few days.

Your wife's account however sent mail successfully on the 16th, Friday. Have you (or your wife) attempted to send mail since posting to me?

If so then was this via the iPhone or another device?

If you haven't yet attempted sending mail from a device other than the iPhone please do try now - either a laptop, pc or android.

Keep me updated on what happens please. I have a feeling this is an IOS issue but should like to make certain by trying everything from our side first.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
mef31
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

my wife sent mail via the pc (webmail) on Friday.

If it was an IOS problem how could i replicate the problem on a brand new iphone for her email account yet not have any problems when i set my account up on the same phone. (after deleting her account as per the instructions given by Howard on this forum)

My son has not tried sending any since i reported this problem to you.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
amanita
Joining in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We hve a similar problem happening but with android phones. I am the primary email account holder and I can receive and send emails ok from my phone for my blueyonder account.

However, my husband who has a secondary account has been having problems sending emails from his phone for the last few months. When putting in the setting for the SMTP server, it won't allow signing in, there is no reply from the server. This only happens when using mobile broadband (we don't use virgin mobile) There is no problem sending emails from the phone when using the Virgin wifi on the phone, or using the PC. So this only happens when he is not already signed into the server.

I have just managed to get a workaround by changing his smtp settings to log into my primary account, and this means he can now send emails, but it's not ideal. 

Please can you let me know if there's any update on this issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@amanita

Your issue is entirely different from the one in this thread. It just gets complicated if you jump in like this. Please start your own thread and you'll get help.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
mef31
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

just wondering if you had any luck with this?

regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry as I had meant to get in touch sooner.

The truth is that I don't know. If the email sends successfully via client (on the pc) then that should be evidence of no mailbox related problem.

If the only issue occurs in relation to sending from an Apple device then that sort of weighs in favour of an IOS related problem. 

By the way I'm just voicing my thoughts here, not stating any confirmed facts. But I'd like to look into this further, just trying to find the best thing to try next.

Are you able to set up your wife's email account on a non-IOS phone?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
mef31
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

finally managed to try to set the account up on an android phone. Exactly the same scenario plays out. Set email on an Samsung and get an error saying unable to connect to email server to verify account info. No response from server. We can see all her emails but unable to send. Settings were all checked and double checked.

This has to be a virginmedia problem and not an apple one. I await your thoughts.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've only just come across this thread so I'd like to add my thoughts.

1. It's not an IOS error.
    Why?

• The user can send using his account.
  • He get's a timeout when trying to send from his wifes account. ON THE SAME DEVICE

2. It's not a Virginmedia error.

Why?

• The user can send using his account
  • He's getting a timeout when trying to send from his wifes account. ON THE SAME DEVICE

Yes I know my reasoning is the same in both cases - and with good reason.

@mef31 - I'm assuming your account is also an ntlworld.com account - is this correct?

The error reported Unable to connect to the server to quote from the original post

it stalls with a timeout error on smpt.ntlworld port 465.

Unless that's a typo on your part - I can see a problem right there - the outgoing server is smtp.ntlworld.com port 465 - Also you need to double check that SSL is enabled

Here's my smtp setting for my blueyonder.co.uk account on my Ipad.

IpadSMTP.JPG

You need to.

1. Make sure you are using  smtp.ntlworld.com as the host name.
2. Make sure that 'Use SSL' is enabled as above. - Using port 465 with SSL disabled will result in a failure to connect.

While I appreciate you said earlier "I am using the correct settings."  If you can't even reach the server then either.

1, The settings are wrong OR
2. The server is not reachable.

If your account is also an ntlworld.com account and you can send from the same device, then my money is on 1. being the issue.

Ravenstar68

Edit - for the record I have tested smtp.ntlworld.com on port 465 and it is currently reachable and responding for me.

C:\Users\timdu>openssl
OpenSSL> s_client -connect smtp.ntlworld.com:465 -quiet
depth=2 C = US, O = "VeriSign, Inc.", OU = VeriSign Trust Network, OU = "(c) 2006 VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only", CN = VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
220 know-smtprelay-9-imp bizsmtp ESMTP server ready
quit
221 know-smtprelay-9-imp bizsmtp closing connection
read:errno=0

So if you're still getting a timeout, it's not a problem with the server itself.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos