Menu
brassed01
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mail

My daughter's email address starts with a small j but has recently been changed to a capital letter and I can no longer send emails to her as Virgin Mail does not seem to accept capitals. Is this correct - Windows Live Mail appears to connect OK.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mail

The web mail client does indeed convert the email address to lower case characters but I have yet to come across an email provider where the local-part of the address is case sensitive (though it can be). What happens when you send the email?

0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

When I send a message it goes into my Sent Box but never gets there - several days later I get a message to say that it failed. Unfortunately I seem to have deleted all these so far but am awaiting a response to a number of failures yesterday. My daughter has 3 appliances, a laptop, an ipad and a smart phone and I am hoping to establish if one of these has not been checked as it looks to me like only one of them has been setup with the rogue capital J.

I am also trying a to make contact using one of her emails to me but as she works this is difficult during the day and she has other problems when at home. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This issue is nothing to do with capitalisation. The standard e-mail format used throughout the internet world does not distinguish between letter cases. This thought is a complete blind alley.

We need to see one of the error messages for a mail that is being bounced back. So copy and paste it here , but remove all identifiable features - ie names before the @ symbol in an e-mail address . This is a public forum. We don't want to help spammers.

We might ned more information than that eventually but that will do for the moment to give us a clue.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

brassed01 wrote:

When I send a message it goes into my Sent Box but never gets there - several days later I get a message to say that it failed. Unfortunately I seem to have deleted all these so far but am awaiting a response to a number of failures yesterday. My daughter has 3 appliances, a laptop, an ipad and a smart phone and I am hoping to establish if one of these has not been checked as it looks to me like only one of them has been setup with the rogue capital J.

I am also trying a to make contact using one of her emails to me but as she works this is difficult during the day and she has other problems when at home. 

Is she by any chance using an email service managed by TalkTalk?

Ravenstar68

Edit BTW - technically case SHOULD matter in the local part of an email address.  e.g. Jennie@somedomain.com SHOULD be seen differently to jennie@somedomain com.  In practise few mail servers enforce this.

If the message is taking several days to come back then case won't be an issue.  It's more likely greylisting or rate limiting.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

brassed01
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is talktalk - is that significant ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

brassed01 wrote:

Yes it is talktalk - is that significant ?

Yep - we're seeing an issue where talktalk are apparently employing rate limiting similar to Virgin Media, and like Virgin they are getting it wrong.  Virgin Media are aware of this but it's up to TalkTalk to sort out the issue at their end.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Pardon my ignorance but what is BTW ?
0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

By The Way.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am waiting for another failure notice so I can display, but as far as I can remember it showed the address all in lower case and Retry Time Exceeded

0 Kudos