Menu
caroline6
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Vanished emails

I have found that some of my saved email folders have mysteriously emptied themselves.  

These were emails from last year, and earlier on particular topics, which are suddenly empty, both online at the virgin site and in outlook.  Really important things saved there.  What's happened and how can I retrieve them?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vanished emails

This has a history of happening when email folders are accessed via IMAP from multiple devices (particularly Apple devices).

If this is your scenario - read this -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ntlworld-email-history-disappeared-from-PC-and-iPad-help/t...

Regardless of this, VM's Terms and conditions have always said this or similar -

"6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your email account."

Have you searched all the folders on the VM webmail site - particularly the Trash folder? 

0 Kudos
caroline6
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this Bill.

I am not an apple but a Samsung / android user, and yes, I do use the phone and tablet at times.  But the odd thing is that some folders are empty and some not.  I am baffles as to what has happened but also very anxious to ensure that I don't lose any more.  Not sure how to go about this, or how to save folders in such a way on my hard drive that they are safe.  I was much more comfortable with the old outlook that just downloaded things once and wasn't 'live'.

Maybe I should try to phone Virgin to see if they can restore them.  I see that my account is IMAP not POP3/

Thanks

Caroline

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I assume from your response that you used MS Outlook at some time in the past but now just use webmail with IMAP connections to phone and tablet – yes?. Is that correct and did you delete all the old Outlook files? 

Third from the top of page 1 of this section you will find a “pink stickie” by ravenstar68 which offers guidance on how to back up emails -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/td-p/3539542 

You are unlikely to get any sensible advice on your problem by phoning VM – particularly from the off-shore call-centre. You would be best advised to wait for one of the Forum Team to pick up this issue and respond here - could take up to a week.

0 Kudos
caroline6
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bill,

Thank you for this.

I still use  MS Outlook to open and read my emails, and have the folders in MS outlook and online, and on my phone.

I don't know why they disappeared, and why some folders were emptied and not others, and I don't know whether they first disappeared from the Virgin webmail site or from outlook.  I was disappointed that more recent outlook versions don't seem to permanently download as the old ones did, so you have to be online to read old emails.  

I think something happened in webmail - I haven't been emptying my storage folders..

Will look up the back up system, that's been remiss of me to not realise how important it was.  

My googlemail account - which is separate - is so reliable and stable.  I think...

Best wishes,

Caroline

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Which version of Outlook are you now using and which "old" version were you using previously? When did you upgrade to your current version?

0 Kudos
caroline6
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's 2010.  I upgraded quite a few years ago now, at least five.  There doesn't seem to be a time factor in which folders have been emptied and which haven't...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The reason I asked for timescale and version was to determine if it was recent and whether you had omitted to carry forward your .PST data from the previous version. But you would have noticed before now if 5 years have elapsed since your last Outlook upgrade.

As I suggested earlier the most likely cause is one of your mobile devices issuing one or more delete commands. 

You can leave this open for one of the Forum Team to have a look some time in the next week.

0 Kudos
caroline6
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for all your help Bill

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Caroline

Marking a post as "Helpful answer" means that the Forum Team will treat it as "Solved" and will take no further action. You should unmark it so that they will at least look at it. Here's how (Community FAQ) -

"If you've posted a question to a forum, you can choose the reply that best answers your question and mark it as a Helpful Answer.

To mark a reply as a Helpful Answer:

• Click the Mark as Helpful Answer button on the reply. 

If you change your mind, or if another reply provides an even better answer, you can revoke the first selection and mark the second reply as the topic's Helpful Answer.

To revoke a Helpful Answer:

• Choose Options > Unmark as Helpful Answer

You can choose another reply or leave the question without one."

0 Kudos