Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
Jazzum504
Helpful Answer

Unable to sign in to ntlworld.com email

I am currently unable to sign in to check my 'ntlworld.com' email using my laptop.

I get to the 'Connecting You...' option screen, but when I select 'ntlworld.com' and click on send a window comes up saying 'File Download - Security warning'. The text in this window then proceeds: 'Do you want to save this file, or find a program online to open it?', Name: mail_ntlworld_com, Type: Unknown File type, 152 bytes, From: mail.ntlworld.com'.

Hidden slightly behind this window I can see another window headed '0% of from mailntl...'.

Curiously, if I select one of the other options from the 'Connecting You...' screen, such as 'virgin.net', the correct window for signing in and entering a password appears. It is only the ntlworld one that isn't working. Unfortunately this is the only one that I need.

Luckily I am still able to check my emails using the broadband connection to my desktop PC. It is only when I try and check them using my laptop (which uses a mobile broadband usb modem) that I encounter this problem.

However, it is still a rather unsatisfactory situation.

Can anyone suggest any possible remedies for this problem?

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

Re: Unable to sign in to ntlworld.com email

You should not have to do this, but try http://mail.ntlworld.com. That does things in a different order (it connects you to mail, and then gets your username/password for authentication, whereas the normal route authenticates you first, and then connects to the mail system.) 

If it works, I can give you no explanation!

Eric

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jazzum504

Thanks for the advice.

I tried going direct to http://mail.ntlworld.com but the same thing happened, and I was unable to get as far as entering any password/username info.

The only difference this time was that the 'File Download - Security Warning' window (with the '0% of / from mail.ntlworld.com' window behind) was displaying behind the virginmedia homepage window.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi Jazzum504

Can you please try using a different browser to see if you're able to replicate the fault on it?

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jazzum504

I downloaded Google Chrome and Firefox and was able to go to www.virginmedia.com and sign in and check my email as normal.

I suppose this all points to there being something incorrect in the way that Internet Explorer is currently set up on my computer? But what?

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

It is probably some cookies left over from a previous session. Clearing cookies may fix it.

Eric

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Carl_J

Hi Jazzum504,

As Eric_T suggests, clearing your cookies will probably fix the problem. If not you could try doing a full browser reset from the advanced internet options (only available in versions 7 and 8), or if you are not running version 8 of Internet Explorer, an upgrade may also fix your problems.

Regards,

Carl Judge

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jazzum504

I didn't need to retain any particular settings in Internet Explorer, so I did the full browser reset as suggested. Joy! I can now get into my email as before, so thank you to everyone out there for their help in sorting out my problem. Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
bullfrog

[ Edited ]

I was asked to investigate this by a friend. Reseting Internet explorer default settings,clearing cache had no effect. I even setup a new windows user and tried from there with no improvement.

From virginmedias main home page and clicking email you are taken to a page where you select the domain part of your email address, When you select ntlworld.com as the domain for your email address you are redirected here

http://mail.ntlworld.com

The file that downloads is a small script to redirect you to here http://mail.ntlworld.com/mail this is being misinterpreted for some reason. You can either click on the link above to get into your normal email login prompt or save the file mail_ntlworld_com that you are being asked to save somewhere on your machine but add .htm on the end of that name so it becomes mail_ntlworld_com.htm

Double clicking this file will then take you to http://mail.ntlworld.com/mail and you can now continue with your normal email logging in details.

Once I've determined the real cause of this strange behaviour I'll post back

regards

Bullfrog

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
goldfinch

I had this same problem, but then I noticed the URL in bottom left corner of screen had changed to http://mail.ntlworld.com   I went into Internet Security Settings and added this address to the Trusted Site, then tried to access emails again and it worked!   I could find my emails as normal.

Hope this helps everyone having the same problem.

Please use plain text.