Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
cheltman

USING MY AMAZON KINDLE FIRE ABROAD

I have a blueyonder.co.uk email address and have successfully set up and used the mailbox on my AKF. In the UK there is no problem with either incoming and outgoing emails - it works perfectly. However when I took it to the States, it would not work at all.I am now in Spain and have the same problem. After some tinkering, I can now receive emails but can't send any. I have to go to the website and log-in to email. I spent an hour on the phone with the Virginmedia Technician who was very helpful but could not resolve the issue.

Has anybody else who uses a blueyonder email account successfully used it abroad? If so, I would like to know what settings were used.

Any help appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Jedi Master
Graham_A

Re: USING MY AMAZON KINDLE FIRE ABROAD

[ Edited ]

You need to have outgoing server authentication set in your email client, so that the VM servers can recognise you as a customer when away from home. It is best to use the smtp.virginmedia.com server for this. 

Whilst I haven't tried this aboard personally I did give the same advice previously to a user not being able to send emails in Australia and this sorted the problem for him.

The settings are:

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, for   example, richard.branson@blueyonder.co.uk.  Note: If you update your username in My   Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
cheltman

Graham, thank for your response. The outgoing settings you advocate are identical to those contained in the email sent by your telephone help-line, unfortunately they do not work in Spain! When I changed from smtp.blueyonder to smtp.virginmedia and attempted to save, the error message comes up ‘Unable to finish setup’ – ‘email address or password is incorrect’. I think this must be a problem peculiar to blueyonder email addresses. With blueyonder I have a primary user name (quite a complex series of numbers and letters assigned to me by the ISP) but by adding the suffix _2 and _3 and assigning separate passwords, then different family members can have their own separate mailboxes. Attached to each user name is a simpler email address and it is this one that is normally used in emailing. I am sure the problem lies in this area.

Please use plain text.
Jedi Master
Graham_A

There is a tool for blueyonder users which shows you which email address you need to use to authenticate yourself on the servers. 

If you go here: https://ipauth.virginmedia.com/SSO_BLUEYONDER/servlet/StartupServlet and enter the email address you are trying to use it will tell you which is the primary alias.  This is the one to enter into your email client in the smtp authentication section.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
cheltman

This website confirms that the username and password are correct for the alias i am attempting to set up on my Amazon Kindle Fire here in Spain. However the AKF just will not complete the setup. I have also got a PC here with Windows Live Mail and have attempted to set that up for emailing using the same username but this will not work either - the message says 'the SMTP.virginmedia.co.uk server could not be found' Curiously the main blueyonder account (without the_3 suffix) works fine for both incoming and outgoing mail. This to me seems to confirm that the problem lies in the use of the sub-accounts used for family members.

Please use plain text.
Jedi Master
Graham_A

cheltman wrote:

This website confirms that the username and password are correct for the alias i am attempting to set up on my Amazon Kindle Fire here in Spain. However the AKF just will not complete the setup. I have also got a PC here with Windows Live Mail and have attempted to set that up for emailing using the same username but this will not work either - the message says 'the SMTP.virginmedia.co.uk server could not be found' Curiously the main blueyonder account (without the_3 suffix) works fine for both incoming and outgoing mail. This to me seems to confirm that the problem lies in the use of the sub-accounts used for family members.

This may just be a typo in your post but the smtp setting is smtp.virginmedia.com not .co.uk

It might be worth changing the password in My Virgin Media for the alias that you are having problems with as this will resync it with the mail servers. 

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Huw_B

Graham_A wrote:
This may just be a typo in your post but the smtp setting is smtp.virginmedia.com not .co.uk

It might be worth changing the password in My Virgin Media for the alias that you are having problems with as this will resync it with the mail servers. 

Hello Cheltman, 

Can you let us know if the information that Graham_A has provided you with has helped you with your issue

Thanks

Huw

Huw Virgin National
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
cheltman

Sorry Graham - it was indeed meant to be SMTP.virginmedia.com. But I have had a breakthrough -  I have changed the outgoing server from the recommended one to SMTP.blueyonder.co.uk and to my great surprise everything is now working - emails can be sent and received. For the record the rest of the outgoing settings for using the AKF in Spain are:

Security Type: SSL/TLS

Port: 465

'Requires sign in' box is ticked

User name xxxxxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk

Password entered.

Touch 'Done' tab.

Thank you for your help

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Huw_B

Glad you got it sorted Cheltman

Huw

Huw Virgin National
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.