Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Re: Too Many Recipients error

bobjackson wrote:

Hi Stottie

Virgin have just introduced a limit of 250 recipients within 24 hours.  This can be 1 email with 250 recipients, or 250 emails with 1 recipient or any combinations that add up to 250 recipients.

Once you exceed this limit you then can't send anything (even 1 email to 1 recipient) until the first of your emails that you send is 24 hours old.  e.g. you send 50 recipients at 10am, 50 at 11am, 50 at 12noon, 50 at 1pm, 50 at 2pm you won't be able to send anything till 10am the next day.

They say that this 250 limit has always been the intention (although it isn't documented anywhere) but there was a bug with their system that they fixed 3 weeks ago, so this limit now applies.

They say other ISPs have similar limits (but I've not investigated this)

Let's see if anyone else picks this up

Bob

Hi Bob,

I can find nothing on the VM Legal stuff webpages, http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff.html regarding this restriction on the sending of emails, nor anything within the VM Help pages http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=STAR...

and believe me, I've looked!

I don't believe that the information provided by David Owen (of The Help & Support Forum Team) which you quoted earlier in the thread is enforceable There is nothing within VM's Terms and Conditions regarding limitations of this sort to the email service.

David Owen has posted an opinion and not anything which should be considered binding.

This is just VM trying it on, don't let them get away with it.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
superfroggy32

It looks as if I have now been added to the list of "453 Too Many Recipients (VM502)"

I tried to send out about 200 e-mails to my club members.

First 97 went out without a problem.

Second 97 failed and has continued to fail during the last 2 hours.

I even split the 2nd list into 2 but alas these also failed.

I only send out messages on an infrequent basis using Outlook.

Many contain an image inserted in the middle of the text which the browser systems do not easily allow.

I have always used Virgin (and Blueyonder) but it looks as if I will have to move my account somewhere else.

TV, Broadband and e-mail.

A sad loss to Virgin with this silly, unannounced restriction to the service that they provide.

I have now wasted over 3 hours trying to tell my members about a funeral.  Half of them will not know in time for them to make arrangements.

Poor Virgin

John:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
maryhenllys

Yep I've got the same problem replying (reply to all) to a email for 8 people
maryhenllys
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

See here: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&hlrm=en-uk&hlrm=en&answer=166852 for email limits on the Google Apps platform. (As far as I'm aware VM use this platform for the provision of the VM Webmail service, please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Limit type Description Value
Messages per dayDaily sending limit*2000
Messages auto-forwardedMessages automatically forwarded from another account; not included in the daily sending limit10,000
Auto-forward mail filtersAccount filters that automatically forward mail20
Recipients per messageAddresses in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields of a single email*2000 (500 external)
Recipients per message (sent via SMTP by POP or IMAP users)Addresses in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields of a single email*99
Total recipients per dayIndividual addresses count in every mail sent; 5 emails sent to 10 addresses count as 50 recipients*10,000
External recipients per dayEmail addresses outside your primary domain. Includes domain aliases and alternate domains.3000
Unique recipients per dayIndividual addresses count once a day; 5 emails sent to 10 addresses count as 10 unique recipients*3000 (2000 external)

*applies to both internal and external recipients

That's a sending limit of 2000 emails, not 250 as has been suggested.

Come clean VM and clearly state what limits, if any, are being applied to the email service.

--------------------
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Still awaiting clarification on email sending limits if any, where these limits are officially noted and when they were introduced.

Thanks.
--------------------
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
coolbawn

I have to say that I'm amazed, disappointed and unbelievably frustrated that VM have imposed this limit without warning. Who actually decided to implement it and who decided to do so without warning us ? It must be someone very young, stupid, inconsiderate and/or lacking in imagination.

Roughly every quarter, I have to send an email to about 100 airline personnel and about 70 of their suppliers. Each recipient is a named colleague of mine in an industry.

Today I try to get out the latest email to 168 recipients quickly before going away and BANG it fails to go out to 68 of them. I waste time working out why. I waste more time working out which 68 have to be resent. I waste even more time sending those 68 and even then VM have rejected 22 of them again - even though I have only sent 3 or 4 other emails today. Now I have to waste even more time posting to this forum.

What's more, one prized potential customer has replied and I have tried to get back to him "while I have your ear" and guess what - that email has been strangled at birth too.

Shame on you Virgin Media for doing this and not immediately reacting to the other posts by AT LEAST offering to lift the limit for individual customers who you have inconvenienced.

It's ironic that you seem to do nothing about cutting down incoming spam while **bleep**ing up your customers' outgoing non-spam.

I look forward to hearing what you are going to do about all this quickly ....

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Mark_Wilkin

Hi Huw's asked me to take a look at this and I'm talking to our email team about this now so I can you a comprehensive answer here, will report back once I've got clear picture for you.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JuliaChantrell

This has just hit me today. Once a week I send out our church notice sheet to 4 distribution lists totalling maybe 150 addresses. On an ad hoc basis I also send out prayer requests to maybe 100 addresses. Last weekend I had no problems. Today I sent the notices and then a prayer email - and suddenly I can't. This is ridiculous. There must be a way of verifying a valid account so that spam senders are blocks but real customers aren't!
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
coolbawn

A decent man (a level 2 supervisor called Suliman) from Virgin Media support in Swansea helped me set smtp to use SSL and ports 995 (in) and 465 (out). That worked for me. Not sure why.

He mentioned that I could:

- send some emails from a different email address. Not a practical option for me.

- use IMAP instead of SMTP. I don't know what this means or how to do it as the above worked.

Hope that helps someone.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
AmandaF

I want to weep. 

I do not have time to administer the function I am trying to organise anyway, on behalf of a charity group.  I invested two hours at the weekend laboriously entering 120 email addresses into a distribution list so that I could tell them about this year's event. 

THIS IS ONE EMAIL PER YEAR.  I AM NOT A SPAMMER I AM A PERSON WHO IS GIVING UP THEIR TIME TO HELP THE GROUP.

I did *not* need to find out AFTER THIS EFFORT that Virgin Media has unilaterally and without warning set a limit on the number of people I can email.

Here's the thing.  Spammers are trying to send to thousands of accounts, not a couple of hundred.

It's now late at night, and I'm about to start over entering email addresses on a series of three distribution lists so that I can send out to a thrilling one list per day - and presumably not be able to use my email account for anything else until Friday.

How utterly, grippingly Twenty First Century.

Please use plain text.