Menu
lmd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Some emails bouncing back undelivered days later

I'm having problems sending some emails - so far it has only happened with emails that have attachments.

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to an address I've used before (education suffix) and it took three days before I got a message that it had gone undelivered:

from mailer-daemon:virginmedia.com, Delivery Status Notification

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-7-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message [redacted] could not be delivered to [redacted address] The remote mail system said; ??:?? ------------------------

I tried again and had the same thing happen after a significant delay. I had to send them the info via a third party in the end as a temporary workaround.

Then this week, 13th Dec, I sent an email to a gmail address, with an attachment. When I was told it hadn't arrived, I sent it again.

Finally I was given an alternative but still a gmail address and this time the email went through. I've only just received another mailer-daemon notification that the first of those emails didn't go through, three days after the fact.

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-5-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, [redacted], could not be delivered to [redacted]@gmail. The remote mail system said; ??:??

What is going on and how can I fix it? That I'm not discovering the lack of delivery until days later is especially concerning in case of time sensitive documents needing to be sent.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some emails bouncing back undelivered days later

It is hard to help without seeing the full error message. The key part is where you have given us "???" instead of text. We need to see the text. When you post the full message please edit out e-mail addresses - just the name before the @ symbol would be good to leave out.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
lmd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The text is "??:??"

I've taken screencaps:

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Images removed as containing Email addresses, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I did ask you to edit out names before the e-mail @ symbol. This is a public forum and spammers do search it for live addresses. If you can't edit the names the Mods will. I have asked them to look at this.

So this is happening to *.sch addresses and to some *.gmail addresses. Strange. The VM servers are trying to deliver but the mail is getting rejected, eventually which is why the notifications are delayed. Why is your mail being rejected? I can't tell but I think others will have more of an idea.

I'm afraid you'll have to be patient and wait for further advice.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
lmd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I took out everyone but my address, which is in an image not text, just to prove this is exactly what I am getting delivered back to me at my email. Bizarre error message. So far only those two addresses, but same attachments are going through to other emails with same suffixes. If it was happening all the time it would probably indicate something easier to pin down and fix but I'm at a loss.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

When I don't know that is what I say. I could say you had hit glitches in respect of the receiving servers at Google and *.sch but that would be a cop out. So indulge me? Are you sending over a VM connection (I can see you are using VM's SMTP servers)? Is there anything odd about how you send mail. Might just help.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
lmd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, although I'm actually using smtp.blueyonder.co.uk  a legacy account from pre the VM takeover. I've never had issues like this until now though. If there are any other details you need that might help let me know.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well that all fits properly. I use smtp.by etc. That's OK. The legacy servers all point to the same set of SMTP servers at Knowsley. I've asked for help for you. I'm not too proud to do that. Please be patient.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It helps if we actually see the full domain that you are sending to..  Not just the last few letters.

Some of the Schools will be using Google Apps for Education.  In fact looking at the similarity of the two messages, I wouldn't be surprised if the domain is one of them.

If the message was being bounced straight away, one would be tempted to think it's an incorrect address - HOWEVER because they are coming back days later, there seems to be something else in play.

I've a feeling the Forum Team will need to look at the email logs to see what's going on here.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 - Thank you for the additional comments.

@lmd - Two things, as you can see the images of your error messages have been removed because they did violate Forum rules about not disclosing personal information. Please post the *sch one again leaving the full domain name after the @symbol visible as ravenstar68 has requested. We can do some more digging. But as you can see we may have to ask VM to look at the e-mail logs to get to the bottom of this one.

When posting please insert the text using the "Insert code" button (</> - looks something like this). That eventually produces a grey box with the text and which is editable as you insert the text.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos