Menu
l_gordon
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Router IP blacklisted from ntlworld smpt server

My parents are both still using old @ntlworld.com email addresses and due to some malware infection on one of their devices their router IP has been blocked from the outgoing mail server smtp.ntlworld.com. They can still receive mail via the pop3 server.

So I cleaned up the malware and set to get the router IP un-blacklisted however after hours on the phone to virgin support explaining that the issue was in fact not with outlook I finally got an answer that is actually impossible for the IP to be removed from the blacklist as it is not something they have control over.

At this point I asked if it was possible to have a new IP assigned to the router and i was told that the IPs are assigned dynamically by virgins dhcp server and they also have no control over IP assignment for non-business users.

The final engineer I got a hold of on the phone told me that all that could be done was to wait for a new IP to be assigned when the IP lease expires, which happens every couple of weeks. But this does not always change the IP. Having set up some web-servers / remote access in the past on this network I know for a fact that the IP of this router has not changed in 3 years.

Besides sitting and praying that the server randomly gets a new IP every time the lease expires what can be done to resolve this?

This has taken about 4 days of our time collectively and nothing close to a resolution has been provided. 

At one point an engineer told me he was changing the IP but actually just remotely changed the router to modem mode, which does reassign the IP but of course only allows one device on the network. He did this just to get me off the phone because he knew there was no solution. Once I realised that no other devices would connect other than the device I was troubleshooting on (because I was in modem mode) I rebooted the router and ended up back at square one with the same blacklisted IP.

Does virgin seriously not have the ability to update a routers IP or un-blacklist an IP from a server after blacklisting it in the first place?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router IP blacklisted from ntlworld smpt server

As far as I know Virgins email servers use external Blacklists.

You would need find out what blacklist you are on and request delisting from said blacklist. http://www.mxtoolbox.com has a blacklist search tool.
Enter your external IP into that.
Don't worry about being on the SORBES DUHL all Dynamic IPs should be on it.

The site will provide links if listed to the blacklist delisting forms, pages.  

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As far as I know Virgins email servers use external Blacklists.

You would need find out what blacklist you are on and request delisting from said blacklist. http://www.mxtoolbox.com has a blacklist search tool.
Enter your external IP into that.
Don't worry about being on the SORBES DUHL all Dynamic IPs should be on it.

The site will provide links if listed to the blacklist delisting forms, pages.  

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
l_gordon
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks man, I checked the IP on this site and it was registered with 6 different blacklisting authorities...

Workings on submitting removal requests now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

l_gordon wrote:

Thanks man, I checked the IP on this site and it was registered with 6 different blacklisting authorities...

Workings on submitting removal requests now.

That won't work.

Submission servers like smtp.ntlworld.com don't use external blacklists.  They use ACL lists which are in fact under their control.  (Once again the ineptitude of first line support rears it's ugly head).  External Blacklists are used on the final legs of an emails journey between an email providers mail server and the destination. - See my post here http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M129651

What error message are you getting when they try sending?  Please post the full message with the exception of the part of the any email addresses before the @ sign.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos