Menu
maggiedyer
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting an I Pad

Hi,

For some reason my I Pad will no longer send emails from my virgin.net email address [I think that the settings changed on their own - can they do that?] 

I am receiving emails with no problem.  Can you please tell me what settings I should use for outgoing emails?

Kind regards,

Maggie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@maggiedyer

Why on earth have you posted this question in a thread which is completely unrelated to the problem you are experiencing, and one that hs not been seen since last September? This makes it doubly difficult for us to help you.  Lucky I spotted it. The correct Board for you to have used is the e-mail one where you would have found loads of similar questions.

I'll point you in the right direction:

Read this on how to ensure your settings are correctly entered. Apple devices are notoriously difficult to configure once something odd happens:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

For your settings look here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I see that possibly one of the MOds has moved your post so you can ignore all but the concrete advice I gave you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's unlikely the settings have changed on their own.  It's more likely one of the following things has happened.

The account has been blocked for sending spam.  However, you should have received a letter from Virgin Media if that was the case.
You've fallen victim to a problem that appears to be happening to some accounts whereby the backend servers fall out of sync.

Does the iPad still receive inbound mail?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

maggiedyer
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I am receiving emails but I can't send them.  Virgin have not contacted me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The settings link I sent you in my previous post works OK for me. I do ask that people don't PM me unless I ask. See my Forum signature. You should use the settings to check that your ipad or whatever is properly set up.

It is entirely possible that ravenstar68 is correct and that your credentials have got out of sync. You can sort that out by logging into My Virginmedia and changing the address password but use the same one. That kind of dummy change forces the servers to talk to each other and put things right.

There is one other possibility - are you still a VM braodband customer? Because if you are not your @virgin.net address is at risk and VM may have picked it up for final closure. VM addresses are only for VM BB customers.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
maggiedyer
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response.  I am tearing my hair out here - I am 73 and doing my best!  I do have broadband with Virgin.  I know that I was able to send emails from my I Pad and I really don't understand what has gone wrong.  I have now tried putting in the settings as previously suggested by the other guy and now nothing at all is happening.  I still work and my virgin.net email address is important to me.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Stop beating yourself up. It is unlikely that anything you have done has caused this issue.  Apple devices are notorious for this kind of behaviour or it is the password sync problem that ravenstar68 has described. There are dozens of posts on this Forum about both of these issues.

I will ask the Forum Team to look at this thread to see if they can see whether there is anything wrong with your account but it will take them a day or so to get back to you on the Forum.

In the meantime you must try the password reset and you must follow the schematic for deleting and re-entering the account details that we have already provided.

@ModTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
maggiedyer
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I am still receiving emails on via the virgin website and on my phone.  No problem there.  I appreciate your efforts.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That proves that the account details are fine. This is the password sync issue almost definitely. Do the password reset trick and see what happens.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks