Menu
Genom
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Problem with Username email

Hi, I've been checking and it appears that you can't really change an email address and that the underlying one doesn't actually change it just uses the new address.

Is that actually correct as the email I use for my account username has been compromised (It's been spoofed) so I'd rather like to get rid of it and use something else. But if anything I change it to won't actually get rid of the underlying account name, is there any other options?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem with Username email

You are nearly right. You cannot change your primary e-mail address because that is the one that VM uses for the whole of its VM log in systems to manage your account. You can stop using it and it will be deactivated after 90 days non use but it will always and for ever remain active for log in to My VM etc.

You can create up to eight more new addresses through My VM. However once your address is spoofed the spoofing will continue until the spoofers move on.

What they need is a genuine and seemingly valid address to disguise where their spam mail is coming from. People will still see e-mail apparently coming from you. All that will happen if you allow your address to be deactivated is that you won't see the bounce backs.

The game isn't worth the candle.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are nearly right. You cannot change your primary e-mail address because that is the one that VM uses for the whole of its VM log in systems to manage your account. You can stop using it and it will be deactivated after 90 days non use but it will always and for ever remain active for log in to My VM etc.

You can create up to eight more new addresses through My VM. However once your address is spoofed the spoofing will continue until the spoofers move on.

What they need is a genuine and seemingly valid address to disguise where their spam mail is coming from. People will still see e-mail apparently coming from you. All that will happen if you allow your address to be deactivated is that you won't see the bounce backs.

The game isn't worth the candle.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Genom
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Oh well then, I wasn't too hopeful to be fair but it was worth a shot to see if there were any other solutions out there.

Thank you.

0 Kudos