Menu
BobbyVMUser
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Outlook clients to POP3 accounts - non-VM e-mails

I cannot connect an MS Outlook client to a POP3 account (from a third-party, not VM)

This does not work over a wired connection

This does not work over a wireless connection

This does work over a mobile data connection, when my configuration allows me to send and receive e-mails from the configured POP3 account

I have multiple operating systems, I have multiple versions of MS Outlook clients, the results are the same

The error is:

Task 'mail@account.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Outlook clients to POP3 accounts - non-VM e-mails

BobbyVMUser wrote:

I cannot connect an MS Outlook client to a POP3 account (from a third-party, not VM)

This does not work over a wired connection. This does not work over a wireless connection. This does work over a mobile data connection, when my configuration allows me to send and receive e-mails from the configured POP3 account. I have multiple operating systems, I have multiple versions of MS Outlook clients, the results are the same

The error is: Task 'mail@account.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

On the sounds of it you've been IP banned from the mail server, best contact the provider and ask 'em to un-ban you.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BobbyVMUser wrote:

This does not work over a wired connection. This does not work over a wireless connection. This does work over a mobile data connection, when my configuration allows me to send and receive e-mails from the configured POP3 account. I have multiple operating systems, I have multiple versions of MS Outlook clients, the results are the same

The error is: Task 'mail@account.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

On the sounds of it you've been IP banned from the mail server, best contact the provider and ask 'em to un-ban you.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
BobbyVMUser
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The mail server does not seem to have blocked anything...

Could the problem be outgoing? Or the client application?

cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

outlook client does not meet modern security standards so some email ( e.g. Gmail ) needs tweaking to persuade it to lower its standards.

I had much trouble with outlook 2007 accepting new gmail account setups. maybe newer versions of outlook are better, but I think they all lack 2 step auth.

what non-VM mail are you having trouble with and what does their FAQ say ?

and as a  comparison test, can you set up a VM account to work as  POP3 on same PCs in same outlook installs...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

outlook client does not meet modern security standards so some email ( e.g. Gmail ) needs tweaking to persuade it to lower its standards.

Can you justify that comment?  Outlook supports SSL/TLS and StartTLS - although it incorrectly names SSL/TLS as SSL and StartTLS as simply TLS - I have it set up and working with Gmail's system quite happily.

I had much trouble with outlook 2007 accepting new gmail account setups. maybe newer versions of outlook are better, but I think they all lack 2 step auth.

With two factor Authentication set up in Gmail, one has to set up a separate password for use with clients in Google's system and then set up the account in Outlook using this password instead of the main one.

what non-VM mail are you having trouble with and what does their FAQ say ?

and as a  comparison test, can you set up a VM account to work as  POP3 on same PCs in same outlook installs...

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BobbyVMUser wrote:

The mail server does not seem to have blocked anything...

Could the problem be outgoing? Or the client application?

Can you try the following from a Virgin Media connection.

Open up a Command Window by pressing Windows Key+R and typing in cmd into the Run box

Type in tracert <pop3 server name>

Copy and Paste the text into a reply here.  Note is using Windows 10 you should be able to drag an outline over the text in the Command Window and hit the Enter key to copy the text to the clipboard.

In windows 7 and below to do this you need to click the Icon in the top left of the Command Window and select Edit->Mark first.

For example - here's a tracert to pop3.virginmedia.com - obviously you need to trace to the server you are having issues with.

C:\Users\timdu>tracert pop3.virginmedia.com

Tracing route to pop3.virginmedia.com [62.254.26.222]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     4 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    24 ms    25 ms    22 ms  cpc35-sutt4-2-0-gw.19-1.cable.virginm.net [94.173.103.1]
  3    16 ms    16 ms    12 ms  perr-core-2b-ae14-705.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.68.178]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    19 ms    21 ms    16 ms  manc-bb-1d-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.118]
  7    18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  know-dcore-1b-pc1.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.54]
  8    26 ms    18 ms    19 ms  pop3.virginmedia.com [62.254.26.222]

Trace complete.

Ignore the timeouts in the middle - this is a normal result to a working server.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

cybmole wrote:

Can you justify that comment?  

Google's own words, not mine - see link below

& from personal experience: we'd created a gmail account to use instead of a virginmedia one with the same something@....

no problems creating it, no problems adding it to thunderbird, but when I tried to add it as pop3 to outlook 2007 I got persistent authentication errors: so it took much googling, much cycling through creaste/delete outlook settings, & changing the gmail account security propertes... only after  3 trips round the same block did it suddenly decide to work. maybe that was a fluke, but I put up the hypothesis that gmail may not play nice with outlook, sometimes

one of the needed gmail settings had to be allow insecure .... hence my comment on modern security standards

see here

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Allowing less secure apps to access your account

Google may block sign-in attempts from some apps or devices that do not use modern security standards. Since these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

• The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or below
  • The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
  • Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird
0 Kudos