Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
DanSlingsby

Outgoing mail server problem

Hi,

I have no trouble receiving email from my UK2.net accounts, but can't send email from my accounts via Virginmedia.com.

I have set the outgoing mail server to: smtp.virginmedia.com

Incoming mail server is: mail.uk2.net and works fine.

I thought this would work, but it doesn't. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Graham_A

Re: Outgoing mail server problem

If you register your uk2.net email with VM via their webmail interface you will be able to set it so that the emails you send through the vm server show your uk2.net address and this can be set as the reply to address. The instructions on how to do that can be found here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=AA14F60B-8E94-4215-95C8-000432F6B268

Some email clients will show the email as being sent from your VM address on behalf of your uk2.net address, but replies should still go to the uk2.net address.

If I have solved your problem please click on the helpful answer button.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
DanSlingsby

Thanks for the reply :catvery-happy:

I think I need to be a bit clearer about my problem. 

Virgin Media supply my broadband and I'm using Mail in Mac OS to receive emails from my UK2.net account (for my business which, as an example, could be dan@xxxx.co.uk). This works fine. Unfortunately, I cannot send emails through Mail using this email address. From what I can gather I need to enter smtp.virginmedia.com, which I have done, but it just doesn't seem to work. I don't want to send emails through my Virgin Media email account, as that wouldn't look very professional, but want to use my dan@xxxx.co.uk email address. This all worked fine when I was with XLN, but since I made the switch to Virgin Media, I cannot send emails using this email address. Most confusing and I'm surprised more people haven't experienced this, or maybe I'm just a bit of a thicky (which is entirely probable!). 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Graham_A

In order to use smtp.virginmedia.com to send via a non vm email address you need to register the non vm email address with them first.  The link I posted tells you how to do this.  This is because only VM customers can use their smtp server. 

If you have done this and still cannot send using your own domain address what error messages are you getting as it might be that you have not got all the server settings correct?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Graham_A

Follow up to my previous post as the edit time has expired.

Have you tried using the uk2.net outgoing server, this link takes you to their support website: https://kb.uk2.net/email/what-are-the-uk2-default-email-se/

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Rachael_J

Hi DanSlingsby,

Could you please let us know whether you have been able to resolve your issue using the information provided by Graham_A?

Kind Regards,

Rachael J
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Please use plain text.