Menu
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No email or account access

All day today - NN3 area,

Cannot get any email address (mostly ntlworld.com) with Outlook Express and cannot log in to My Account or webmail.

Nothing to do with Windows 10 like the Status says as I am on Win XP.

Other Internet access is fine.

:-(

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No email or account access

How did you change your password?

I often find these things get fixed overnight - I suppose they have a clearout or reset in the small hours but it is a bother while it's going on.  Last time it dragged on, I got onto Customer Services and they booked an engineer but it was corrected before he could get here!

Someone knows!

0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fixed after a simple call to CS.  I hadn't called them because it didn't work last time!

The system had detected an email supposedly from one of my accounts which had been reported as spam by other users.  Virgin then blocked my account and changed all me passwords!

A nice man let me in to put everything right.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Shadoe
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Been having the same issue today from all of my devices, no account or email access
0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

and not exactly the first time but fancy putting up a daft message about Windows 10!

Two threads started about problems this week and the staff are hiding!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Windows 10 issue mentioned in the status page is nothing to do with Virgin's systems, but it does potentially affect any customers using Windows 10.  I seem to have dodged the bullet there.

Anyway lets ignore that as it's a complete red herring and concentrate on the issue at hand.

1. What are your current email servers in Outlook Express etc
2. What error messages are you seeing?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  All was fine till yesterday.

Email:
pop.ntlworld.com (Port 100) and smtp.ntlworld.com (25)

also 
pop3.virginmedia.com (995) and smtp.virginmedia.com (25)

Get a dialogue box in Outlook Express headed Logon - emailname  Contents say "Please enter your user name and password for the following server".  Server pop.ntlworld.com, username is populated, password shows stored password as ***.

As regards Account login, I use stored username and *** password, then click "I am not a robot" which becomes ticked after I do the pictures test, then I click login and it goes back to the beginning!

Also failed on my daughter's Android phone.

Internet access per se is OK.  My computer has been restarted.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

sdad wrote:

Thank you.  All was fine till yesterday.

Email:
pop.ntlworld.com (Port 100) and smtp.ntlworld.com (25)

I'm going to assume a Typo here and you meant port 110 - While this works, it's not secure change the port to 995 with SSL enabled  Outgoing should be port 465 with SSL enabled.

also 
pop3.virginmedia.com (995) and smtp.virginmedia.com (25)

I take it you've never sent anything from the virginmedia.com account - outgoing port should be 465 with SSL enabled this is the only port that will currently work on smtp.virginmedia.com

Get a dialogue box in Outlook Express headed Logon - emailname  Contents say "Please enter your user name and password for the following server".  Server pop.ntlworld.com, username is populated, password shows stored password as ***.

As regards Account login, I use stored username and *** password, then click "I am not a robot" which becomes ticked after I do the pictures test, then I click login and it goes back to the beginning!

Also failed on my daughter's Android phone.

Internet access per se is OK.  My computer has been restarted.

Based on the above the connection to the server is fine though - the issue is with the username and password.  Note that if you keep entering a wrong pawword the robot prompt will keep coming up on the webmail page as it's designed to stop brute force attacks.

So the question is, has your password been changed and if so why?  Have you tried using the forgotten password link on the login screen?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am working on the email changes and have seen the new page which shows them all.  However, my account password has not been changed because I can login to my TiVO on my phone using the TV Anywhere app and this uses my main account settings.

0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have done all the email changes.  Tried 2 @ntl and 1 @virginmedia which have three different passwords between them and no difference at all.

Have cross-checked your advice with the settings page at help.virginmedia.com
and no good.  This does happen from time to time and 24 hours is not unusual.  It usually rights itself but we are now well into the second day.

0 Kudos
Shadoe
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have ended up changing my password, but no explanation as to why I have had to as I haven't changed it and no emails (unless deleted) to say it had been changed previously.

Worrying.
0 Kudos
sdad
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How did you change your password?

I often find these things get fixed overnight - I suppose they have a clearout or reset in the small hours but it is a bother while it's going on.  Last time it dragged on, I got onto Customer Services and they booked an engineer but it was corrected before he could get here!

Someone knows!

0 Kudos