Menu
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No email and paid liars

I have had a problem with the primary email on the account saying I don't have a Virgin broadband account. This has been going on for 2 weeks and does not allow email access. But it will work on a mobile phone network.
Was escalated to level 2 support with a promise of a phone call and fix.
2 weeks later no fix. Even though it can't be accessed on 2 desktops and 2 laptops and 1 tablet and all the mobiles when in the house it can be accessed when not using Virgin broadband.
Had to call again today and could not get past the idiots at level 1 support. They said it was my web browser :-O To shut that theory down 2 weeks ago when others were getting the 3 dots we tried on 3 browers on 4 computers, each having chrome and firefox and internet explorer. Then installed Opera.
No email working, just lies and deceipt from Virgin.
As always the worst customer service and technical support of any big firm there is grasping to close down customer calls as a fix to keep their contracts.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate content has been removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: No email and paid liars

To clarify: The error when trying to access ntlworld.com email while connected to any Virgin broadband system is "You do not have a Virgin broadband account" And that's when I am using my Virgin Broadband account lol.

0 Kudos
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Decided to give up on any hope of Virgin fixing this issue. Virgin said no one else had the problem and it is obvious there are more than hundreds who have the problem still today. To pay someone to lie for you is a disgrace.

So it's good bye to the webmail page as Virgin don't even know how it works properly. Put the settings into Microsoft Outlook and it works. It is so very dire that Virgin have this issue and then lie to their customers. I can't think of anything worse than lying and I am not sure Richard Branson ever had that in mind when he let his name be used.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@hammy099

You are slightly incorrect.

While people are reporting problems with Webmail - many are NOT reporting the same problem you have, especially considering the fact that,

• You can access webmail when not on a Virgin Media broadband connection.
  • When on a broadband connection you are getting an error saying that you don't have a Virgin Media broadband account.

Most of the problems people are reporting are long load times with the 4dots (possible scripting issue on the server?), Error messages reporting a technical problem, and even a strange problem when it comes to viewing attachments, but I don't think I've seen many people reporting the above, if any.  And it's unusual, as you'd expect to get the error message both on and off the network,

I think the Forum Team do need to look at what is happening here, and they will get to the post but it can take them a few days to do so.  As this is primarily a community support forum, but to be honest I'm not even sure where to begin with this one.  A screenshot of the error might help though.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You are slightly incorrect. <<< ?

Why split hairs ?  It started at the same time as the 3 dot problem and if you read your own customers posts they say also that switching to a mobile off of your broadband network also works.

Including yesterday I have now spoken to over 20 Virgin staff about this being pushed from one to another and back again.

Your colleagues know exactly what the problem is and your level 2 team assured me they knew what the problem is and that the IT guys would fix it within 7 days and call me back.  Neither happened.

I am not a novice.  If you are stating it might be a scripting issue then I assume to are talking of a scripting issue in the client (Web Browser). If that is the case why does your web interface now have this issue ?   Your colleagues do not understand the principle of logic. If 4 computers each with 3 browsers suddenly stop working on your webmail interface, and many other customers have the same problem, then the changes that were made to change the previously working state, where once it worked before, are changes on the server.  It is for you to fix the problem that you have caused but you do not know how. So instead your colleagues wilfully lie, it must be wilful lies or else they are totally incompetent.

Your webmail interface used on web browsers is merely a front end customer page to access a normal email server.  I have been installing and administering email servers for 30 years and have indeed also programmed webmail interfaces.  So I am not a novice and know beyond doubt that your company has made changes and you either won't or do not know how to fix the problem.  Your default is to lie to your customers and waste all of their time.  Your default is also to make false promises.

Now I see you have taken the time not to reply to my messages with answers but to start your reply by saying I am not quite correct. I am fully aware that are different versions of email faults reported by your customers. I know also that you, the person replying to me has no actual knowledge of the problems or why or how or how to fix them.  Your reply is not to deliver customer service but to call me out for being slightly incorrect when what you should be doing is putting your hands up and saying you don't know how to fix the problems and your company should not be lying to its customers.

I think that's about it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I've hesitated to join this thread because it looked like it was going to turn argumentative from the beginning. But ravenstar68 and I are both users of the service just like you. We are not VM employees and VM do not control what we say or what we advise.  This is a community forum and it brings users together to try to find solutions to their problems. We can often respond faster than the VM staff who work on the Forum. As raven has said this issue is one for the Forum staff to look at and they will in due course. It  seems not to be a run of the mill issue.

However if you just want to let off steam feel free - but get your facts correct about who the Superusers are! Check us out here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk

My final word. I haven't got the energy to debate.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

While you are here perhaps you could answer this question.  The floor manager of level 1 support told me on the phone yesterday they are no longer allowed to escalate these email problems to level 2, they have been told it's the customers web browser at fault and they are not allowed to contact anyone above level 1 basic support anymore.  There must be a reason for that blanket notice to level 1 and that reason is obvious.

0 Kudos
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for clarifying who is who. I have never used the forum before.  That helps a lot. Like I said I have put the email account into Outlook instead so don't have to wait for their BS reply.

0 Kudos
hammy099
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@hammy099

I'm going to answer some points from your other post.

With regards to scripting, there are two considerations.

1. Client side scripting such as Javascript.
  2. Server side scripting such as asp.net, php etc.

So I'm not simply blaming the web browsers, but even on the web browser front, different browsers do sometimes have specific code to do the same thing.

An example I found was creating buttons using CSS, it was necessary to have different code for Chrome, Firefox and IE so that each browser would render the button.  And indeed there is a case for saying part of it is down to browsers.

I'm looking at an issue where on my iPad, the display in browser link for attachments will display the attachment, yet on Chrome and other desktop browsers in Windows AND Linux, the same link tries downloading the same file instead.

However, even if it is a browser issue, the fact that it is so prevalent means that Virgin Media MUST investigate it IMHO.

I don't work in IT but I do understand what webmail is, i.e that is it's a http front end that accesses the mail server.  Looking at the fact that the mail clients such as Outlook etc can access the mail over IMAP/POP etc tells us that it's the front end that's causing many of the issues.

Let's look at logging in as an example.

Just this second I've tried logging in using an Incognito Window in Chrome.  It took me FOUR attempts.

1. Dots cycled for approx 5 - 10 seconds then gave a 503 error.
  2. Dots cycled for approx 5 - 10 seconds then ended up on the default OX apps login screen.
  3. Dots cycled for approx 5 - 10 seconds and then logged me into my.virginmedia.com
  4. Dots cycled for approx 5- 10 seconds and then logged onto the email platform.

Note: even when you get onto the email platform, it runs sluggishly.

All the above point to server side issues rather than browser side.  It is sometimes complicated by the fact that the mail platform works via proxy.  We access addresses on the Virgin Media email gateway in the UK, but the mail platform itself is in the Netherlands.

The proxies themselves should be able to handle the load as even when Virgin were using Gmail, the system worked very much the same way.

What bothers me is that you are very much getting an atypical response, worse when you are ON the Virgin Media network, the mail platform is refusing you access, but when you are OFF it, the platform is allowing access.

That is clearly NOT a browser issue, and it's not something I've seen a lot of on these Fora - yes everyone is getting the dots, but not everyone is getting the "You don't have an account" error.

I do want @Jen_A or @Nicola_C to have a look at this because they can:

1. Confirm this issue has been escalated to the appropriate team.
2 Chase up said team for a resolution.

Although I suspect we will end up with a default EFT of 10 days in the first instance, depending on what the problem is with your access it may be solved sooner but could take longer.

BTW - With regard to splitting hairs, working in IT, you should know that sometimes it does make a difference, different behaviour can point to the problem being in a particular place.  And in some cases even like behaviour can be caused by different issues.  So yes - I will split hairs where appropriate.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos