Menu
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: My virgin.net email is blocked/hacked?

Just to prove that I can do other than fulminate at other people's stupidity I have been reading the previous posts to see if we can help further. @ravenstar68 has got the advice neatly sewn up. It is either a job for the Forum Team or VM first line support to sort out and I think we have had enough of first line support in this case so I dare not tell @Vix1017 to try that again.

There are two main reasons why the virgin.net accounts might have been locked. The first is that they have become orphaned. Although Vix1017 is a customer if the virgin.net addresses derive from dial-up or national days when cable came along they may not have been properly associated with the main NTLworld account. 

The next possible explanation is that they have been locked for sending spam. VM have detected, as they can, that a third party has somehow got hold of the addresses and significantly the passwords and have been using them together to send authenticated spam through VM's mail servers. None of this would be visible to the customer.

In the first case the solution is for Vix1017 to decide which of his virgin.net e-mail addresses he wants to be his main account.  VM's IT team may then be able to associate that address with his live BB account. But it will be at the expense of ALL his other e-mail addresses which will be wiped. And sometimes the procedure is not practicable and so the virgin.net addresses will be lost for ever.

As a temporary expedient it is possible (but no guarantees) to regain temporary access to the virgin.net addresses by logging in at the VM web mail site and selecting the "forgotten password" option. But this only works if a security question(s) has been set in the past. Entering the answers in uppercase may also be required.

This is also a way of dealing with the the second situation if a password change through the normal route (via My Virginmedia)  can't be used.

You can't buy advice like this for love nor money nor, apparently, via VM customer service, but I am doing my best to help. And I do not work for VM either.  I'm exhausted now. I'll let all this sink in with Vix1017. I bet he is crawling the walls. The Forum Team may respond tonight but more likely tomorrow now.

I have one final bit advice. Do as I and ravenstar68 do. Lose VM mail. Don't try and recover, just give up. Use one of the free non-ISP related e-mail providers out there for your main e-mail address. There are two big ones and lots of smaller ones.  All of them work way better and are more reliable than the inadequate and sub-optimal VM mail system at it presently stands. And the beauty of this solution is that if you leave VM (and I bet Vix1017 is thinking he might) you don't have to lose your e-mail address. And you can use these providers via their web mail or e-mail client settings. My wife has just switched to GMail on the loss of her Freeserve address, via an e-mail client. Works like a dream.

Hope this helps.

Edit Add - this is so difficult - I suppose I should have added that the other thing to do is to check all your e-mail settings and use the new combined e-mail client settings here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

that is if you access by means of a client. Web mail - not to worry!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

<Rant>

Let me just say this.  It beggars belief that you insist on farming your customer service out to people who DO NOT KNOW THE COMPANY STRUCTURE AND HISTORY.

I don't work for Virgin Media but it seems I know a darn site more about your company than your own customer service staff do.

Examples: to support my case include this one, amongst others, as well as the case of someone with an ntlworld account being told to contact NTL to resolve their issue.  Which of course the customer was already doing as NTL/Telewest became Virgin Media.

I'm not sure how you decide a call is successful.  But good customer service comes from good interactions with the customer and having the knowledge to secure a successful outcome.  This is clearly lacking and I'm not sure how you can rate 1st line support as an effective service because of this fact.

</RANT>

@Vix1017 - Do I think first line support was lying to you deliberately.  No I don't!!  But as you can tell from the rant above, they were giving you incorrect information.  Having had first hand experience of this myself, but some of them can get the job done, if they learn when they should escalate calls to the right department.

I'm hoping either the ModTeam or @Nicola_C will jump on this, but it's not likely to be til tomorrow at the earliest, even then they may have to escalate this to Virgin's email team for a resolution depending on the cause of the issue.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I told you I was getting exhausted by this tale!  I forgot to mention the third reason why these virgin.net accounts may be throwing up a password error. VM are trying to encourage their customers using less secure passwords to change them for something more secure (and I don't want any comments that overall VM's password policy is not very secure anyway - I know). The seem to be making this prompt by denying access to accounts until the change is made. Follow this guidance for the recommended password structure, if you can get in to change the passwords.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard and Tim, what can I say.....

Hello Vix1017

It sounds like you have been dealt with very poorly and I will certainly feed it back to all concerned, please accept our apologies. I will send you a forum private message to carry out some data protection checks and then do our best to help, please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@Nicola_C - thank you for your candour. Kudos to you (FWIW).

@Vix1017 - you've had a poor customer experience and outcome so far. But Nicola_C is just the best at her job and will help you get this sorted. I urge you to trust her and act on her advice. Please post back to say you have done so. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 16 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Nicola, I replied to your private message but then it said 'not authenticated' and I don't know if my reply to you got through?  I don't know why it said not authenticated.  I'm in the middle of my working day and only have a minute now to post.  Did my private response to you get through or should I re-send, when I get time to do so?

Meanwhile, thanks for offering help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I've chased this up for you to confirm one way or the other.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard

Hello Vix1017

Thank you for trying but it doesn't seemed to have reached me, please would you try again. By the way I finish soon and am off for a while however I have asked my colleague the lovely Sam to keep an eye out for your messages.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 19 of 39
Flag for a moderator

OK so my private message to Nicola did seem to send the second time around, a  few hours ago but I guess she's now no longer available to respond and will hopefully pass on my case to a colleague.

Thank you Howard and Tim for your help so far.  I can't risk the loss of my ntlworld email address as I think this one is inextricably linked with a work email address (I'm investigating this with website host) and I need work email to continue at all costs.

So just to clarify, Howard, if Virgin manage to re-instate my virgin.net email (which of course they may not be able to.  I'm not holding out much hope now), then will that be at the expense of my ntlworld account?  If that's the case, I'm again stuck in an impossible situation - either regaining access to all my personal emails but losing my work email or losing my main personal email account but retaining my work email account.  That's not a great situation.

I've now spent literally hours of time on this issue since Monday, with loss of earnings (I'm self-employed) and loss of 5 days of personal emails and still no clear end in sight.  Hope someone from the Virgin team gets back to me soon.

I

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@Vix1017

I will send you a PM. I want you to read it carefully and consider what your response will be.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos