Menu
dollywalker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

IP address being blocked

I am sending mail from a domain based account, some of which is being returned as the IP address is blacklisted.  I am getting returns from various recipients and others are getting my mail in their spam boxes instead of their inboxes.  All my outgoing messages have been sent to individuals, no bulk mailshots or newsletters etc.

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[**.**.**.**] said:
    522 email sent from (31.170.120.34) found on industry IP blacklists, please
    contact your mail sending service or use an alternate email service to send
    your email. 

This is an extract from one such message.  All of the messages quote the same IP address.  This is not my IP address.  This problem began on the 14th December last year and is still continuing.  I am just an ordinary domestic user, how can I resolve this issue?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP address being blocked

The blacklisted IP address is 31.170.120.34. Suggest you go back to Mr Gridhost and ask why your traffic is being routed through a blacklisted IP.

See this image from the MXToolbox site -

B-list-1.JPG

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That IP address is owned by a company called Dataflame. Have you bought a domain name from them - or from somebody else who uses their hosting services? I don't see what VM can do about it. You need to contact your domain name supplier.

0 Kudos
dollywalker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

my domain is hosted by gridhost, which is the server for my domain based email.  I contacted the man who set it all up, he raised a ticket, they checked everything at their end and said there was nothing wrong with their systems or server.  I suppose my initial query is: is the IP address which is quoted in the message the one which is blacklisted?  Or is this being quoted because my mail is routed through there and the fault is actually with my own IP address? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The blacklisted IP address is 31.170.120.34. Suggest you go back to Mr Gridhost and ask why your traffic is being routed through a blacklisted IP.

See this image from the MXToolbox site -

B-list-1.JPG

0 Kudos
dollywalker
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's kind of what I thought from my own researches but I thought maybe I was getting it wrong somewhere along the line - nice to have it confirmed by someone else. I will chase it up again.
cheers.
0 Kudos
dollywalker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I raised the query via my domain manager who raised the query with Gridhost and this is what they said:

The way that our system works is that when you connect using a mail client you are being routed through a specific outmx server. The problem is that your email are routed through outmx-075.london.gridhost.co.uk (31.170.120.34) and they are they're blocked out by most service providers. The outmx-075 server is used when the  sending computer's HELO is 'USER' or '127.0.0.1'.

HELO name of a computer is usually the computer's "name" in the OS/system settings. It's the greeting used when talking to mail servers like ours. Very often, certain HELO names are connected with or linked to malicious activity, e.g. ylmf-pc is blocked outright on the cloud. 127.0.0.1 and this can often be associated with misconfigured or pirated Windows. To fix this, change the computer name in the control panel under system preferences.

My computer was called USER, and always was ever since I got it about 3 years ago, with no problems at all.  Following earlier advice I did actually change the name of the computer on December 19th but this did not fix the problem.  I don't know what 127.0.0.1 refers to, I can't find that so far on my system.  I have checked the computer for malware and as far as I know it is clean.  I have also now raised this matter with the Thunderbird forum to see if anyone there can throw any light on it.

Any further input from this comminity would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All email services have something called a "dirty server" or similar to which "suspect" traffic is routed. Gridhost's appears to be 31.170.120.34.

Your traffic seems to be getting routed there because you have used a "suspect" identity for your computer name. 

Change your computer name, again, to something unique to you and reboot. The name format rules are at -  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/909264

With regard to 127.0.0.1, this IP address is the local one known as the localhost, and is not the IP address used by your computer to communicate with other machines on your network or the Internet.The localhost is the default name describing the local computer address also known as the loopback address. For example, typing: ping localhost would ping the local IP address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address). When setting up a web server or software on a web server, 127.0.0.1 is used to point the software to the local machine. Irrelevant in your case I think.

It's Gridhost's responsibility to advise you how to get your email working again.

0 Kudos